Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a barn find 1994 Indy 500 efi guy said It ran but only till the battery was drained so Its not charging. I put a good battery In and It fired up In 3 pulls runs good so the ACS Is working ? Bad stator ? bad connection somewhere ? Any Ides thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put a used battery I had In It and It reads 12.54 at Idol 14.50 when at 3000 rpm looks like Its charging thinking the battery was just a bum one. I will grab a new one and see what happens. Thanks for the reply

·
Super Moderator
16,803 Posts
Sounds like you are on the right track. Getting 14.5 volts when at higher RPM lets you know the stator is working.

Those early Polaris EFI sleds had to have a really good battery to operate properly. A lot of folks have converted them to carbs because they were such a pain to keep running.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I am in that process now, I have been trying to find a set of 38mm carbs to replace the system on my '92 EFI 500 for awhile. It runs just fine but I hate that damn EFI system as when it acts up...it is a pain in the you know what to figure it out even with having the software and adapter to read the computer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am in that process now, I have been trying to find a set of 38mm carbs to replace the system on my '92 EFI 500 for awhile. It runs just fine but I hate that damn EFI system as when it acts up...it is a pain in the you know what to figure it out even with having the software and adapter to read the computer.
The guy i bought this from told me It runs fine until the battery runs down so I don't know what to make of that. Not charging back to the battery a bad ACS ? I may also be looking to carb It out we will see.

·
Registered
478 Posts
IIRC it is 38mm carbs, mine has been upgraded with Xtra-10 suspension on the rear with fox shocks and installing gas pro shocks here soon to level it out. It is nearly identical to my '98 Indy 500 but with EFI. I only keep it for a backup sled to the other 2 I have but I want it setup with carbs as it is just ten times easier to deal with. Plus then I can sell all the EFI stuff on eBay as people still want it for some odd reason.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Detailed Instructions to drilling out the pulse on the engine block for the fuel pump that's all I'm worried about and the carb boots that are used In the swap

1 - 9 of 9 Posts