Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just pickup an '99 skidoo bomideer grand touring 800. Nice machine. It does not have spikes in the track. How do you put these spikes in and do you need special equipment to do the job?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Pics

First I'm not sure what a Bomideer is :confused: You must mean Bomdardier ;)
for the pics check out woodys.com for patterns and the correct amount for your sled, and yes you do need a special drill bit so you don't damage you track. there cheap! 8/9 bucks. :cool:

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
WHY DO YOU WANT TO STUD, I DON'T USE STUDS IN MY 800 AND HAVE NO PROBLEMS BUT I AM SURE THIS WILL START THE STUDS ARGUMENT AGAIN:rolleyes:

·
Registered
205 Posts
SPIKES? BOMIDEER? some people just shouldn't own a sled!! just kiddin'. studs are really pretty easy to install. depending on how many you plan to put in, it should take 2-5 hrs. good luck!!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
HEY JOHN DEERE, SHOULDN'T YOU REMOVE "HOPEFULLY" FROM YOUR POLS SIG?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
STUDS

I am nervous about the ice. Last year I saw alot of ice on trails. Last year I was riding my polaris xcr 600. Which has studs (spikes) in the track and I did not slide a bit. The 600 weighs 400 lbs, the skidoo 800 weighs 600 lbs. Just guessing on the weght. Skidoo is much bigger. Would'nt it be a good idea to get the studs in the track?

·
Registered
205 Posts
first off, there's NO WAY that 600 triple is 400 lbs. probably between 500-530 lbs. i would deff. put studs in tho, i think they're great.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
studs installed

The local ski doo shop wants to charge me $250 for studs and $40 an hour for labor. What do you think? Is this the going rate?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Its 65 an hour here so i would do it for 40. Try to find the studs cheaper somewhere else cause that is an outrageous price unless your running a 244 setup. Wash out and flip on the ice once without studs and see if you want them first, i learned the hard way and wont ride without them again.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Wash out and flip on the ice once without studs and see if you want them first,
true dat

40 an hour for labor charges?? holy smokes, mines in the shop now for crank bearings and the shop rate is $72.50/hour.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Ouch, getting to be cheaper for everyone to go take a class in mechanics, I did and it still dont help when it comes to crank balancing...LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts