Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there anyway to replace a crankshaft bearing without having to send it away and spend a bunch of money? The sled i want to buy has a shot bearing in the crank. I thought there was a post awile back talking about heating one part and freezing another, but im not sure. If it is possibile how can i do it and where could i buy the bearings?

·
Registered
12 Posts
first you have to dissassemble your engine and split the casses. then you put casses in the oven at about 200* for 30 min or so. sometimes the bearing will just fall ou of the case if not then you find a socket or something that just fits on the outside of the bearing and hit the socket with a hammer(you may need a big one). you can buy the bearings at a dealer or if you can find the numbers on the bearings you could get them at a wholesale house. after you get the bearings put them in the freezer overnight. the next day put your cases in the oven again just as above if you cant just drop the bearings in spray the bearing seat with WD-40 or similar and use the same socket you used before and hammer it in then just reassemble your engine.

P.S. i have done this i didn't just read it somewhere

Good luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
sorry, i went downstairs and realized that some sled cases come apart differently than the dirtbike case i put bearings in. I think that if you get the crank out and get new bearings it is fairly cheap to have the bearings put on the crank. i had to have my dirtbike crank split and it had a bearing stuck on the end and the guy took it off for free.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heres the problem, I am pretty dumb when it come to working on engines. The sled i bought(1980 blizzard 9500) already has the engine torn down to the crankshaft. I could probably put it back together, but i would like to be safe and have some help doing it. Maybe one of you guys could talk me through it.

Oh ya, what do you guys know about the blizzard.....is it fast, good on trails, or just an all around kind of sled?

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
It's a good all around sled. You'll have fun on it. When it comes time for assembly you'll need a tube of liquid gasket, formulated for sealing crankcase halves, such as ThreeBond 1207D. You'll also need a top end gasket set. If you need seals already, get a complete gasket set, it'll come with the seals also.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is it a bad idea to use the old gaskets? I remember reading a post awile back on the blizzard and the guy said that ski doo recommended a few changes to the blizzard(pretty sure it was a 9500). I think they were:
1. putting two headgaskets on.
2. use more oil in gas mixture(not sure of ratio)
3. change in carb settings
Do you know anything about these, or why they made the changes?

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
NEVER reuse gaskets. It's only asking for trouble. There's no reason to use 2 head gaskets, and the only other thing I can think of is to richen the fuel mixture so it wouldn't fry the crank or pistons from an over-lean condition. I think I remember a post on Blizzard engines cooking pistons. Dano might know.I think it was him who did a thread on it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How rich can i go without having problems. I am not that concerned about power or anything, I just want a dependable sled for the trails. And from what i have read about the blizzard its going to be a slow ride on the trail because of the crappy suspension.
I think he said the 2 headgaskets will lower compression, but why would you want to do that?

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
It would lower it minimally, the head gasket is so thin. Lowering compression will lower heat, making it burn "more rich" to a point. Don't bother with that method. When you put it together, get it running and idle it around the yard slowly to break it in. Make sure the oiler is turned up, and add oil to the fuel for the first tank. You need to keep checking the spark plugs for color as you ride it faster. What you're looking for is the plugs to be a dark toasted marshmallow brown. Any lighter, it's too lean.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I always seem to screw things up when I try to adjust a carb, and now there are 2 to mess with. So lets say the engine is running a little lean, would adding the right amount of oil to the gas have the same effect as setting the carb richer? And im not sure what the oiler is. Also what would an engine for this sled be worth, its on ebay(he says it has a good crankshaft but will need a bunch of stuff like gaskets, a hone job, carbs and a clutch, there has also been some soldering done inside the engine.........is it worth $130 maybe just to use the crank out of it? Sorry for so many questions, I just dont want to mess anything up.

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
What is "soldering inside the engine"? There's nothing to solder in the engine, unless the stator wires, etc were soldered. And why is there so many other things wrong with it? With that many other problems, can you be sure the crank is OK?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I was thinking the same thing. And now that I found out how much shipping is, Ive decided to just send out the crank for a rebuild. I see it is quite expensive for a rebuild, but is it possible to get just one set of bearings replaced(rod) or will they all have to be replaced?

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
They do the whole thing when rebuilt, rod and crank bearings. Should come back with a warranty, though. Check first.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Finally brought the sled home today and have a few ?'s. I didnt notice before i brought the engine parts home that there is a chip out of the edge of one piston(on the top). Im guesssing that isnt good, but will it run?
Also, there is some light rust on the crank, if I try sanding it off will it affect anything when its back together?
And finally, how would I clean out the bearings on the crank, there was sawdust on it and probably got into the bearings.

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Replace the piston. It'll eventually score the cylinder and ruin that, too. Sanding the crank lightly won't hurt it. Wash it in a small pail of mixed fuel, the fuel acts like a solvent, the oil will keep it from rusting again.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Would it be ok to have one new piston and an old one? And would either of these engines fit in the blizzard:
-rotax 462cc type 464
-type 434/435(not sure which) ........crankshaft only

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
You can use one new and one old piston as long as they are the same size (one not .010 over, etc.).

You'd have to see if the engine mounts are the same, wiring, etc on both engines.

I don't think the crank will fit.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts