Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using my pull lately to start seeing my electric starter is gone. Usually hard as hell pulling this over when cold. Once warm, alot easier.

Today, when warm, I started pulling and the sled didn't turn over. Then I pulled again and the tension was completely gone. There was no tension at all. I let it go all the way back in and pulled again and no tension. Finally, I tried again and the tension was back and it started.

I thought I was done in the middle of no where. Does anyone know what happened?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Your dogs didn't engage on your recoil. It either needs to be rebuilt or just lubricated. Sometimes, it helps to just pull the rope slowly til it engages - then pull hard to spin the engine over.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It did freak me out. Never had this issue with any pull start engines. I usually do the first pull real slow to get the rope extended and then let it recoil half way and pull. I was doing repeated pulls real fast so maybe that's why it didnt engage. How do you lubricate this?

·
ride till your broke
2,560 Posts
it needs to be taken apart and cleaned.

·
Super Moderator
18,377 Posts
That is a more common problem on sleds with electric start. The dogs don't get worked often and get sticky. It may come back on it's own, if not, remove the recoil and clean and regrease. Avoid the temptation to disassemble anything.. if it's not broken, don't open Pandora's box!!

·
Registered
26,196 Posts
Yep just remove the cover nut and spray under it with break cleaner and then follow it with WD40. Another good thing is to lock tite that nut! You can also WD the rope too!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep just remove the cover nut and spray under it with break cleaner and then follow it with WD40. Another good thing is to lock tite that nut! You can also WD the rope too!
This sounds like the easiest approach without disassembling the entire recoil. I just hope the WD40 doesn't freeze on contact. It's mighty cold out here these days.

Thanks all for the feedback.:thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts