Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yesterday i was riding back behind my house in a park anyways i was listening to my sled for any kinds of odd noises wehn it had stalled which it does if i let it sit for little while . so go to startit again , the first pull was hard and didn't get it the second time it tried the rope pulled bout three inches the was absolutely impossible to pull after that , any one know what the hell could have happened??? thanks to any responses

·
Registered
365 Posts
Eeee. I've had that happened on a boat motor before.. Might just need the recoil redone.

Of course there is the possibility that you have seized the engine but I doubt it at that point considering it was just running.

But what do i know... SEG will likely field this one i'm sure :D

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Yeah thats what i was thinking.. Seized her up, but like mentioned before, wouldnt it make more noise if it seized up and stalled?? SEG where are you!! haha!:p

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Try to turn it with the clutch (take the belt off first if possible). If it turns hard, then it's probably a rod bearing seized. When you pull the rope, it should have a little slack followed by a slight clank noise as it engages. If the rope won't pull out AT ALL, take the recoil off and check it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
possible hydrolock......but more than likely seized

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok , so i went played with the clutch allittle rolled it a little bit. Went to give a pull and wallah i pulls again. So just when i get all excited to ride i give a couple more pulls (of coarse it didnt start on the first pull) and now the damn pull rope broke , but hell that'll cost a whole lot less than the rebuilding the engine. Thanks to all that replied it was much help

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
It may be seizing from a lack of oil. Using the clutch to turn it over is freeing up the tight bearing. If it runs then dies again and you can't pull it, that's probably the problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A guy yesterday when i was out there stopped and dave me hand . He asked me where my choke was . i told him i there is no choke, and he couldn't believe that it didnt have a choke. does my sled not having a choke a big thing or is it somewhat normal in some sleds?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Does your sled have a primer instead of a choke? Isn't that how the older skidoos were set up? My buddy has a 96 formula 500 and that has a primer but no choke. Same idea, different setup.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
The primer is the choke on the older ski-doos isnt it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
this danm thing still wont start i went and bought a whole new pull cord redid it all it works great pulls just fine. i had a whole in one of my oil lines (the one between the oil tank and filter)so i replaced it. I see that the oil is not really running through the filter the whole line kinda goes up and down so it doesn't look like its getting oil . Could that be the problem or will the oil pump pull it through when it starts. I got it to start for like 10 seconds then it just died again. It wouldn;t start fro me last monday but a friend and I just kept pulling it for a while and it finally started but by myself i just get too tried pulling it. It's been in the single digits for the whole week. Can someone give me a little more help Pleeeeeaaaase!?!?

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
You may have seized it up from a lack of oil and the damage is done. You need to do a compression test on it, each cylinder should be at least 120 lbs. Take out the plugs and shine a light in the hole to see if the cylinders are messed up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
got it started today ran for bout 5-10 minutes it was back firing a lil bit what could that be caused by. I noticed a little smoke was coming out of the air box as it back fired. sorry bout this stuff I'm just cluesless when it comes to these things

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
finally got it all started an was cruising around the yard/ neighborhood tonight. i was cruising for like 10 minutes then decicde to take it back in the park I'm, in there for like 5 mins and the ****ing thing did the same exact thing as it did two weeks. stralled out and pull start stopped working , the clutch was alot harder to free up this time , it took alot of work. I finally got it freed and it won't start again. I am so pissed off !!!! I think i'm gonna just take it somewhere to get fixed. This do it yourself **** just is not working for with snowmobiles!!

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Sounds like the rod bearings are seizing on the crank, probably from the oiler failing. I had a Ski Doo safari do the exact same thing. The engine will unseize when the bearings cool off. You'll have to get the crank rebuilt. Tou're going to have to take it apart and see, but I'm gambling that's it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
with a hole in your oil line, the ooil pump will not work properly, so you prolly had lack of oil in engine, which has caused it to eat itself. Sorry to say, but sounds like it's pooched on ya....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts