Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post here , new to the group. I am looking at up grading to a newer sled. My current one is a 1981 Polaris Centurion Indy 500. It does have the SLP 605 big bore kit in it, stock carbs and pipe, newer clutch. The con of this one is no oil injection. The sleds that i am looking at are in the years of 1991- 1996, Here is the 3 sleds RXL, XCR, Storm,. RXL, fuel injected, no jetting, can be an electrical headache, XRC, same engine as the XLT, stiffer suspension, Storm, up to 800 cc. plenty of power but also the heaviest. .... I do mostly ditch riding. Yes ther are newer and better than the years that i posted, but my budget is less than $1500. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
18,377 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Some guys get the RXL to work just fine, others have nightmare after nightmare. The Storm is VERY fast, but really heavy, I would think for ditchbanging, you would end up with suspension damage. Of the three listed for the type of riding you stated, that leaves the XCR. The racing suspension will be better at taking the bumps, although it will be very stiff on the trails. The XLT engine has had it's issues over time, the early ones needed more lubrication to the outside crank bearings. If it's later, it may already have that problem taken care of.

Good luck in your search! You should be able to find a pretty nice sled well within your budget.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I am with BC_Dan, I'd go with the XCR

·
Registered
83 Posts
my opinion best to worst XCR, Storm, last resort RXL. i dont know where your at but here in Utah i know with a budget of $1500 you could find a decent 98-99 ish 6 or 700. that would be better than any of your options

1 - 5 of 5 Posts