Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mounting a kimpex gas shock as the center skid shock... Wondering what the correct orientation should be. Service manual shows stock shock with spring keeper up and body of the shock down... But some pics I see online have it the other way around presumably to allow the oil inside to keep lubing the shiny rod?

Currently have it on with the spring keeper pointing up.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I have always done it with the bigger end of the shock on the bottom as that is how mine came from factory. With the end of the shock shaft at the top.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree with coolhand, not sure if it makes toomuch of a difference, but i always run mine with the thickpart downwards. Just feels the most logical. Talking from my own experiences, shocks are not my area of expertise.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I would disagree and say that gas shocks have nitrogen gas over the oil to prevent the oil from foaming. Every time my Dealer has rebuilt my fox shocks he has replaced the necessary components replaced the oil and recharged with gas. I can't speak to the newer floats that have no spring.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Read on another forum that back in the 90s Polaris had a racer bulletin recommending that the shock body be positioned at the top with shaft down. This was to reduce unsprung weight which I know that I would never be able to tell the difference.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Yeah I remember that bulletin and we all laughed at it when we got it. It was thrown in the trash right away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts