Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was having some problems with the sled last year, but never had time to fix it. now that im on winter break from college i got some time to fix this thing. well anyways, the first thing i did was put in some new plugs and ran it around. it was running great then after a few min it started to bog when taking off, it was running total half ass, something was wrong. when i took the plugs out and examined them, one had little metal bb like fragments jammed in there. so im guessing the reason why its been running on 1 cylinder is because the other piston is melted. lol. im a total newbie to workin on these things, but an avid learner. later today i plan on taking the little head off and checking the cylinder to see if its damaged. hopefully all i have to do is get a new piston and the cylinder isnt damaged. in order for the piston to melt it must have went lean or its not getting oil. what are my next steps in fixing this thing?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
check the old plugs, if the tips are white then it was lean and you are probably right about it meltin, otherwise, that might not be your problem.

·
Registered
97 Posts
check your carbs... if you put it away last year and didn't do anything to stop the carbs from gumming up it might have blocked off a jet and leaned out the fuel oil mixture. The carbs should be real clean on the inside and like maverick said if the plugs are white on the tips you are running it too hot.... but if you just started it with new plugs they might not of had time to change color. The first thing I would do is take a look at the carbs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i forgot to mention, along with little metal bb's jammed in the plug. the gap was closed also. it looked as if the piston came up and hit it. but heres the weird thing, the sled ran fine right after i put the new plugs in. it wasnt until like another minute or so of riding till it started running on 1 cylinder. i am so confused on whats the problem here.

thanks for the advice so far guys. oh btw, the old plugs were not white. and i took apart the top of each carb and cleaned out what looked to be the main jet. i didnt take the carbs out and dissassemble them, i just sprayed some carb cleaner in the jet hole. i reassembled them and noticed no difference.

right after i sign off im goin to take off the head on that one cylinder. ill post up here once im done with that and tell yall if the piston is in fact melted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
took everything apart and the piston was melted and cylinder wall was scored. i think the problem is it wasnt getting any oil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts