Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 2010 IQ LX for my wife back in early Dec.
It has only 350 miles on it. (no longer under warranty as I brought it up from the U.S.)
Problem #1 Will not start with electric start unless in heated garage??
Has new battery and cranks like crazy! Will usually start second pull even at minus 30 C.
Problem #2 If left idling for more than 3-5 minutes ( 20 seconds if been driven)it will "shut down". Have noticed tail-lights will "flash" and engine will stutter then quit. Sometimes it will restart but usually has to sit for at least 20 min. Appears to be no spark during this cool down period.
No warning lights that I have seen.

When its running it runs awesome!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Perhaps you have the wrong fuel resistor installed, maybe you have the ethanol one in, I don,t know just making a suggestion.
I also have the 2010 600 and I havn't had this problem, The starter thing might be a defective key switch that won't allow spark or fuel when turned all the way, You should pull the plugs and see what they do when you turn the key (spark, no spark) are your plugs wet or dry when you pull them out? (try starting first)

Andrej
2010 IQ 600
widetrak.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Messed with it a bit yesterday, If it is warm or has been running even a short while BUT HASN'T "shut down" it will start immediatly with the key???
I have not been sitting on machine yet when it has "shut down" so I do not know if any warning lights on gauges flash or what the engine temp or voltage are at time of shut down.
Is there a way to retrieve and fault codes from the computer without hauling it an hour one way to the dealer??
I am on hold with a Polaris dealer service manager now so hopefully he/they have seen this before.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:dunno::mad::dunno:Ok I spent a bunch of time swaping electrical parts off my buddies o9 600 dragon. (voltage reg, CDI, bunch of relays, even tried computer)
Made no difference.
So got ahold of another Polaris service guy at nearest dealer and he thinks its the stator.
I am gonna drop it off there on Monday and have them run some tests and reflash the computer etc.
Then if they cant find anything else wrong another buddy has an 08 700 with the engine apart and all electrical/EFI parts are the same so I will swap out more stuff (stator/mag, Throttle pos sensor, EGT sensor and maybe even multi function display:confused::confused:)

·
ride till your broke
2,560 Posts
i hate polaris!! :cheeky4:
just kidding. hope you figure it out.;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya I know , at least with a Doo the problems are obvious, expensive and frequent !!!:cheeky4: LOL
I am thinking this sled had been left idling once or twice for A LONG TIME and got quite warm under the hood on the exhaust/muffler side as the plastic console/shroud where the rope handle sits was melted and sagged, the side panel shows some warpage and the tape that holds theends of plastic loom material on the coolant hoses is shrunk/melted.
So the stator could have gotten to hot but in my experience they usually quit completely or have continuous issue not an intermitant condition.
Hopefully the dealer can tell me whats up when they scan it!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update:
So I took the sled up to my nearest dealer this past Monday.
Explained what was happening.
I picked it up the next day.
They hooked it up to the Digital Wrench (diagnostic etc computer)
Pulled the following codes out ( all Historic, no active codes)
-0036, 0563, 0643, 1611, 2147. I don't know what each/any codes mean, forgot to ask.
I think one code is for voltage regulator???
They checked fuel pressure, TPS, chassis relay, injector voltag, ECU and checked ohms on stator. All Checked good.
Only thing they could suggest is broken/bad wire in harness somewhere or intermitant open/short in stator.
I put 2 miles on it before I loaded up and have another 20 on it the past few days at home and SO FAR it has been flawless!!!
I am hoping it was a bad connection or ???
I think I am going to order a spare voltage regulator, EGT sensor and possibly a stator as they seem to be "common" causes IF there is a problem.
There are LOTS of these sleds around and only one voltage reg and one stator in the past 4 years but they are used on all 6/7/800 from 07 up. Even computers are the same just different program/fuel map Flash.

If anyone knows what the codes are let me know.
Thanks, I will post if it acts up again and I have to change stator or ???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts