Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 96 polaris ultra 680 3 cylinder. I am having a problem with hesitation on the low end, and the sled just won't go like it should. Once she reaches 8 thousand rpms the sled does not increase speed but the rpms keep goin to 9 1/2 or 10 .The sled is only doing about 60 to 65 mph at this point, and clutch does not engage untill about 5 thousand rpms. The only time I have power is from 5000 rpms to 8000 rpms and only reaching about 60 to 65 mph When should clutch engage and any ideas about poor performance?

·
ride till your broke
2,560 Posts
what shape is the belt in??

·
Registered
354 Posts
"decent" is a relative term, and with snowmobile belts, even a little extra wear can give you all sorts of performance problems. 5k engagement is a bit high, and revving to almost 10k is dangerous to say the least, you are losing all your power either in the primary clutch, with worn rollers, bad spring, or stuck weights, or a tired out secondary that wont shift up due to bad slides or a worn out spring , sounds like its not "up shifting" to keep you in the 8k range that should be your top end. but a worn belt that is too skinny to ride up on the sheave, or has worn or shiny spots in it causing slip could also be a problem. I would try a new belt for starters, if it gets better, you may need to pull and clean or rebuild the primary and secondary to get the power to the track.

·
Registered
1 Posts
my ultra was doing the same thing, it would only go 60, and then it would go 30. it took forever for the clutch to engage. I just had the clutch rebuilt.turns out the cables that attach to the slides in the carbs came off of two of the carbs, i just took the slides out, cleaned them off, sprayed a little silicon on them, re attached the cables, and it ran like a top. when the second cable came disconnected the throttle cable system jammed, and the nut came out holder on the throttle. Pop the airbox out and look into the carbs as you pull the throttle and you'll see if they are all moving or not. I have no idea how those cables worked there way out, but i think sticky slides were to blame

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.