Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well yesterday I went out Fired up my 2003 800 rmk in 2 cranks
it idled and stuff for about 15 min then i went riding ..
i just did a few rounds around my house was working awesome
then. i thought all was fine
i went for a ride and i was going good then
it made a funny noise and basically died out
it sparks..recently cleaned carbs and reset the jets.
and new fuel filter. its got me so confused on whats the deal
after it died out i let it sit 1 hr later fired up one shot
went for a rip same deal
makes a funny noise and dies out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
did you check compression in all cylinders?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no i havent..
but i just got the sled off a friend of mines friend
and he claimed to have changed all the seals and. new pistons .
he said the day i bought that it had 138 compression

·
Registered
36 Posts
i had a sled that would work perfect for a while then all of a sudden it sorta bogged right down and would have no power what so ever then died, waited an hour like you said and went out and fired right up and ran great for a bit and it did the same thing...all in all one cylinder was way down in compression and had to replace piston and ring and luckily the nothing happened to the cylinder..

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sounds like ignition to me. If it had a condenser, I would start there, but I doubt it has one. It could be a bad coil breaking down with heat. Once it cools, it's back in business.

Blake

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the coil is what im thinkin cuz my plugs got a spark but a really dead low spark ...and for a some times they spark a kinda orange color.. so i think ima start with the coil.

·
Registered
36 Posts
yeah start with the coil maybe start it up and drive it since you said it runs good till it warms up then when it dies take the plugs out and check for spark then..and then go from there if there is no spark you have a coil problem..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
http://www.snowmobileforum.com/members/91rxl650.html alright dude you gave me the right info..i took my sled to a local shop
he checked compression one piston was at 160 pounds the other at 60 pounds he said he took off the head one pistons gone and im waitin for him to call back and let me know if any things else needs to be replaced.
one question should i go with an after market piston he can give it to me for $90 or a polaris piston for $180

·
Registered
24 Posts
my buddy called back
it needs 2 new cylinders
2 new pistons
a gas kit
in total he said im looking at $1500
i had 2 shop visits this yr before this one and that costed me 500 and parts 700
lol
i hope its worth it

·
ride till your broke
2,560 Posts
hey dude watch the language. pg13!

sorry bout your sled!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Order the parts and rebuild it yourself two strokes are easy to work on..And save a lot of $$$$$$$$. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
15 Posts
You should order the parts offline and rebuild it your self. Its way cheaper than to have a dealer do it. Its like if you do it throgh the dealer like your paying for the sled and the dealers sled

·
Registered
350 Posts
hey just reading through this thread and decided to throw in my own two cents... dexx69 is right, two strokes are by far the easiest engines to work on, if you have the tools needed... also remember what bc dan said look for the root cause or just waste the money you are investing... On the other hand i do work as a mechanic so just from being around service work, keep in mind that usually getting somthing done at a shop is covered under some type of warranty, so if the dealer repairs it without finding the problem and it blows up again it wld be on them... oh and a ? if one side has 160 lbs of compression why does that need replaced??? Maybe hes trying to work u over cause he needs ur jug n piston for his sled whyman is right too...

·
Super Moderator
17,874 Posts
You can send the cylinders off to be repaired for half the price of new. You can buy after-market pistons. Gaskets, Polaris has you over a barrel. Easy you can do this job for 1/2 the cost quoted. There are factory repair manuals online, you will need a good flywheel puller to separate the case to replace the PTO crank seal and a good torque wrench. The manual is pretty thorough. It is an 800, though.. so once you open it up, I'm betting the crank is also not in spec. THat's the really sucky part.

Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
quick question. he said theyre was some aluminum on both pistons ...is that possible and both had scratches and one was burnt so he told me id be better to replace the whole cylinder and piston

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
alright im sorry.
but can aluminun find its way on to my piston
my machenic said one was burnt and both had unfixable scratches on it
and he did mention there was a bits and pieces of aluminun on them?
and if i had these things on it
im curious on how was i able to ride it for the amount of time i rode it

1 - 20 of 23 Posts