Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I JB welded my heat exchanger on the indy 400 because it had a tiny pin hole in the front of it. What a crappy job to do. Anyways, I hooked everything back up and added coolant to the reservoir and the block via neck. I started it up and added coolant as it needed for around ten minutes until I thought it was all aired out. At this point the heat exchangers were still not hot or warm. I took it down the road and got maybe 150yds until it revved up and I thought I heard a pop (probably in my head) so I hit the kill switch. It seemed that the engine was really hot, though, as I do not think the coolant was circulating through the exchangers, it was just staying in the block. So I pulled it home and I looked at the plugs and everything was okay - it started and ran fine. I am thinking that coolant got on the clutch and the belt slipped.

So my main problem is that the coolant is not circulating through the heat exchangers I do not think. Did I not burp the system properly? I did not have the sled angled at all, would this cause the coolant not to circulate properly?

·
Super Moderator
18,338 Posts
You need to prop the front of the sled up so that the heat exchangers are lower than the front of the sled so the air will migrate to the fill. If you have a sled trailer, put it on the ramp, nose end up. If you don't have heat in the rear, there will be minimal cooling and you can burn up the engine.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, I will do that. Is there any chance I would have damaged anything by going the 150 yards I did until the antifreeze went onto the clutch belt causing it to slip?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Water pump, Water Pump Belt or Thermostat? I had thermostat issues and my water pump belt broke and caused major problems because it's used to pump the oil as well. If you are not getting heat on your exchanger, I would look at these.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Water pump, Water Pump Belt or Thermostat? I had thermostat issues and my water pump belt broke and caused major problems because it's used to pump the oil as well. If you are not getting heat on your exchanger, I would look at these.
Thanks, but I fixed the issue - just needed to angle the sled!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts