Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 04 700 X2, and am considering a slp single pipe. Long story short i am trying to figure out if it is worth it and what jets/clutch to run.
I realize slp says 500or510's with pipe and airhorn, but wow that seems fat, and #@!# gas mileage. I have also found the 03 and 04 X 700's have different cylinders (porting) and different timing curve in CDI--and naturally det control. i find it hard to believe the same set up works on 03 & 04 as listed because a friend ran twins on his 03 (rocket) but his 04 was a slug with pipes until he ported. These factories change more than meets the eye each year, and i am not sure if the aftermarket companies do the research I have.
Please share any EXPERIENCE you have had with the above and include elevation, temp etc.

I appreciate your help.THANKS!!

·
Registered
228 Posts
some tips: send CDI to hotseat they remove the DET and give it a different curve, send cylinders to SLP and have the decompression holes pluged. get a set of hotseat twins or single with the airbox gutted and 6 D&D bullzeye air filters in it. that sled will be a monster.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pilot..

I have heard the 04' actually needs to be ported for twin pipes, and I would prefer slp stuff over HSP. If it were twins I'd have to say HTG. Either way It seems that the after market folks are still tinkering, and I thought they would have it at least 90%. ---- I would prefer slp single, but the 500 jets makes me wonder, and as I said its the same pipe for 03 and 04,,,,,,, but cdi& porting are different.(Hot seat uses the same single for 03-04 as well, and do not Require cdi reprogram for the single) How can this be??? I suppose i am looking for real, effecient, reliable increase in power, but most customers just like the sound and bragging rights...

Your response is appreciated, and I am very interested in learning all I can.

Thanks

·
Registered
228 Posts
SLP single is one of the best single pipes for the 700 pro x if you do not have your airbox gutted you shouldnt need 500 jets for that pipe i had the 500's in my 800 and i had the air box gutted with the 6 D&D air filters in it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pilot

Thanks for your feedback. I guess to get the full power the gutted airbox is the way to go. I dont mind running the 500 's, but am very surprised they arent to fat. I am also wondering if they will work on the o4 due to det control, different porting and different timing curve.(that is the pipe/airbox/jet combo)

Again, thanks for the feedback, but do you know anyone that has done this on a 04 700 x/x2?

John

·
Registered
228 Posts
well my 800 was an 04 Pro XR 800(orange). see when hotseat reprograms the CDI it removes the DET and they change the curve, it's supposed to give the sled better fuel economy and more HP. then SLP plugges the decompression hole beacause ive heard the VES valve doesnt completely cover the hole at wide open throttle and it bleeds off compression witch will make you loose HP and RPM. i had a D&D clutch kit, v-force reeds, reed spacers, airbox gutted and the filters. SLP makes this neat lil air filter that popes into the speedo hole helps bring in more air. i had bought studs but never put them in before i sold it. but the biggest key is making sure that you sled is running the right RPM when i first got mine it was over reving a ton. i looked at a dyno sheet for the 800 motor and were my sled was running i was only making 110 hp out of 140. the big twins fall on there face after there peak RPM, thats the most important thing. GOOD CLUTCH KIT.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cont...

Well,

I have done more research and found:

Very few people make TWIN pipes for an 04'prox/x2,,,, 2004, and i suspect that is due to the porting etc mentioned above.
HTG does make pipes, but say it wont run unless you port it. (03 runs great) I suspect Polaris went more conservative on the porting for 04'--darn them...
Hot seat doesnt make twins, and neither does slp - (again for 04 model)
Again, the strange thing is 03 twins wont work on an o4, but they say(slp and hot seat) the single will work on an 03 or 04 with same jets, and clutching----very odd
I am starting to wonder if i should leave it stock until these after market companies figure out the differences, and what works...
Anyone have any suggestions on a clutch kit for 04 prox 700?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
D&D

D&D only makes 800 pipes, and if you ask for 700 pipes they will give you the 800 pipes (many companies do this) In fact HTG made 700 pipes first, and if you ask for 800 pipes theyll give you the "700" pipes.
DD has good set ups for the 800 only, because that is what one of the guys runs, but I wouldnt get 700 goodies unless it was for a F7.

X pilot- What are you going to run now??

·
Registered
228 Posts
i would like to get 04' 440 and play with it a lil bit, id like to see if i could get larry rughland to make a set of pipes for it, id like to see how far i could go with the 440 motor, maybe have it ported. i have a 700 motor also, ready to bolt into a pro x chassis maybe find another rolling chassis.???? its still up in the air

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cont...

The 700 doesnt need reprogram like the 800, but removing the det would probably help.

Again, the bad part is you can NOT use an experience from a 800 04, or 700 03 etc. etc. , because the2004 x 700 is a different animal. Most say the 700 is the best motor, and while that is good nobody seems to have Experience tuning one - from pipes to clutching or anything between.

Any experience would be great.

·
Registered
15 Posts
JETTING PROX 700

I RUN 480 MAIN JET, WITH AIRBOX GUTTED AND AIRHORNS, WITH SLP PIPE AND CAN. NO PROBLEM, WENT TO A 470, DET LIGHT CAME ON.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts