Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm working on a bringing a 88' Exciter 570 back to life after being in storage for some time. I've decided to replace a bunch of the fuel & oil injection lines due to them being stiff and brittle. My main question here is how should I go about re-primming the lines?? I was thinking of using one of those lil handheld vac. pumps :confused:

·
Super Moderator
17,916 Posts
For the oil lines, I would run the first tank of gas after the replacement with oil premixed in the gas to make sure you don't have an air pocket in the pump. Also, hold the oil injection open while the engine is idling, that way the oil pump pumps at a higher rate than normal for idle. The hand-held vacuum pump probably won't develop the kind of suction that will be required to get the oil through the pump. I have tried big syringes to get it to flow with limited success. If it's a hand-actuated vacuum pump, I bet your hand quits before the oil gets there.

You can also remove the spark plugs and pull the rope about 100 times, that will get rid of a lot of the air. If you do that, put some 2-stroke oil down the spark plug holes to make sure there's some lube on the cylinder walls while you're cranking.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I replaced the fuel lines and oil lines in mine too and have an air bubble about 6 inches from the oil pump. I removed the line that goes directly into the pump in hopes of making sure there is constantly oil there. I see oil flowing now good in the lines but it looks like I still have a small bubble. Is this a concern?

·
Super Moderator
17,916 Posts
A small bubble should work it's way out through the injectors fairly quickly. Any time you remove the intake line on the pump, you should bleed the air out of the pump. I would also idle the engine for a while with the oil pump lever pulled so that the pump is flowing as much oil as you can. If it's still a concern, my advice to wastedincome about mixing that first tank of gas would apply to your situation as well. You may foul some plugs, but plugs are cheaper than pistons!!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thnx BC,
The only oil lines I replace are on the return side of the pump. Meaning only the 2 lines that come from the oil pump and go into the fuel line. I'm not sure what you mean by "the oil pump lever"??? AFAIK I have a 1:fuel shut off/on lever 2: Decompression?? lever 3: Choke lever??
I'll be sure to run some pre-mix for my first gallon or so.

·
Super Moderator
17,916 Posts
I have not worked on an Exciter, so I'm not sure how the pump is activated. Most sleds will have some way to increase oil flow as the RPM increase. Usually, there's a cable going to the oil pump that activates with the throttle cable. If so, find how that is pulled, and pull it while it's idling. Look for a cable that goes from the throttle handle to the carbs. There could be a cable that splits off and heads over to the oil pump.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have not worked on an Exciter, so I'm not sure how the pump is activated. Most sleds will have some way to increase oil flow as the RPM increase. Usually, there's a cable going to the oil pump that activates with the throttle cable. If so, find how that is pulled, and pull it while it's idling. Look for a cable that goes from the throttle handle to the carbs. There could be a cable that splits off and heads over to the oil pump.
thnx for the tip, I'll take a look at it a bit latter

·
Registered
223 Posts
On my xlv the oil pump cable attaches directly to the carb near where the throttle hooks up. When the throttle is pushed it also pulls on this cable going into the oil pump.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
hopefully i have led wastedincome in the right direction via the pm i was sent. by the way, the procedure starts in section 2, page 30 in the manual.

i skip the part about unhooking the feed lines from the tank to the pump and drain all through the pump, unless absolutely necessary. saves about half the mess.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts