Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, so I finally went out to start my 98 Ski Doo 583 for the season. It was very difficult to start to say the least. Anyway after pouring some gas into the plug holes several times I got it to start. The problem is that the primer plunger isn't doing anything. (this sled has a primer not a choke). It's spring loaded but you can tell and see it isn't pushing any gas. The sled runs just fine but without the functioning primer, I can't really easily restart it. It's like it has an air bubble but no amount of plunging will get rid of the air. Any thoughts. I don't see any visible holes in any of the gas lines.

Thanks,
-Jason

·
Sconnie
1,745 Posts
could be the plunger assembly is bad? on my skidoo the plunger takes forever to start sucking gas when i use if for the first time each year. you can get new plunger assemblies pretty cheap online

·
Mountain Man
423 Posts
The cup is probably dried out. I usually pull the suction line and squirt a shot of silicone lube in mine. I use silicone because it wont hurt the rubber even though a choke plunger is impervious to oil based products so you should be safe with any lube.

·
ZR rider
2,064 Posts
Take the lines of the primer and try pumping it. If you're getting little to no suction, it's time for a new primer. If it's working fine, replace the lines.

·
Alex
3,385 Posts
put some standard motor oil down the shaft and work it in, if that doesn't help, replace the primer assembly. They are a common problem and usually go out every 3 years or so. Cheap fix but a pain to do.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 97 skidoo mxz bought new primer plunger and primed it a bunch of times and can't get fuel through it. Any advice would be helpful thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts