Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
95' Polaris Storm 800
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a problem with my primary clutch on my Storm 800. If I start it and go to move it, the primary clutch will sometimes stick engaged about 1 centimeter or less, enough to make the sled drive at idle rpm (1500rpm). If I tap the clutch with a rubber mallet it will snap back out to normal. I have searched online and found someone suggesting to get a new used clutch saying mine is shot, someone saying I need to replace weight bushings and thats its not hard to do. Never worked on a clutch before so I have no idea what to do to replace anything. Anyone have any info on this problem?

·
Sconnie
1,745 Posts
You can take the cover off and clean everything with warm soapy water. That will probably be enough to fix your problem. spray with compressed air too and get all the belt dust off.

You can check your rollers with the cover off by rolling them with your fingers and making sure they spin freely. look for worn flat spots in the rollers or weights. There is a good write-up in the how-to section, in the engine area, that describes how to do this very well.

you will not need to buy a whole new clutch

·
95' Polaris Storm 800
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, got it all cleaned out and it seems to be working fine now. Check eveything I could see for wear and there doesnt seem to be much. Thanks for the help.

·
95' Polaris Storm 800
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why is the soap harmful or something or does the sandpaper just work better?

·
95' Polaris Storm 800
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay thanks for the help.

·
Sconnie
1,745 Posts
On the inner parts though? not the sheaves..

·
95' Polaris Storm 800
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used soap and water on the insides but I never cleaned the sheaves where the belt rides with the soap/water solution. I thought that it might mess with the belt so I did that with fine grit sandpaper and used compressed air to remove all the dust left behind. Also I read somewhere to use brake cleaner but it didnt seem like a good idea so I went with the soap. Good choice or not?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts