Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
'93 Phazer and The Kid
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'93 Phazer II LE

Clutch isn't completely releasing. Wants to creep when off throttle. That's why I'm digging further into it since the brake cleaner didn't work.

Took the side plate and spring out. Now I want to get the sliding sheave out so I can get at the sliders(they're very black from belt dust I assume). Also, want to clean up the shaft. It seems to me alot of pressure is needed to move the sliding sheave.

From looking at a diagram and the clutch, it appears that the fixed sheave has to be pressed off followed by the other sheave being pressed off the same end of the shaft? I believe that will just leave the spider connected to the shaft? If that's what needs to happen I'm kinda screwed since I don't have a press. In otherwords, open up the wallet to have someone else disassemble.....

If there is a way to disassemble w/o a press please share and/or point me to the proper thread.

Thanks......

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
the spider is threaded into the fixed sheave and requires expensive special tools to disassemble. well worth the money to have someone else open it up. i have seen a few homemade grunt tools but not worth the effort in my opinion.

if i am thinking of the right clutch, the sliders should come out without removing the spider. are yours the long slotted ones that fill the length of the towers on the movable sheave or the short ones that just mount to the end of the spider?

either way it sounds like the bushing on the sliding sheave may be your culprit.

·
'93 Phazer and The Kid
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the spider is threaded into the fixed sheave and requires expensive special tools to disassemble. well worth the money to have someone else open it up. i have seen a few homemade grunt tools but not worth the effort in my opinion.

if i am thinking of the right clutch, the sliders should come out without removing the spider. are yours the long slotted ones that fill the length of the towers on the movable sheave or the short ones that just mount to the end of the spider?

either way it sounds like the bushing on the sliding sheave may be your culprit.
Sounds like I have the long slotted sliders. The clutch doesn't appear to need a rebuild. The rollers turn smoothly. The weights rotate freely and have just a slight amount of side to side movement. Which I would think would be normal. I wouldn't call the movement excessive by any means. So hopefully just a tear down and cleanup is all it needs... I suppose I can inquire how much a clutch kit and install would cost. I'm guessing you get the rollers, weights, slides and bushings in the kit? Maybe the little mounting bolts too? Looks like a rebuild would be relatively easy to do, but, if they have it torn apart they might as well deal with it..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts