Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding my sled around for a while putting it inside until I figured it was no longer in need of work...still need to take care of fuel pressure issue.

In any case the last time I rode the sled everthing worked fine parked it outside and when I went to ride yesterday the primary clutch wouldn't engage enough for the sled to move. The belt is not new but since it was driving fine before I parked it outside I wonder if its temp related??? Any things to check ?

Belt is not new -- track moves freely by hand -- I rebuilt the track system (new bearings and track) and new bearings on the drive shaft in the drop case.

·
Super Moderator
17,006 Posts
When is the last time the primary was cleaned? It could be belt dust and junk is keeping the moveable sheave from moving, or the weights from moving. That would be the first thing that I would check. It wouldn't hurt to scrub the edges of the belt too, just to reduce glaze on the belt.

Was there spark to both plugs? If one plug wasn't firing, you may not be able to get enough RPM to move the movable sheave to engage the belt.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
When is the last time the primary was cleaned? It could be belt dust and junk is keeping the moveable sheave from moving, or the weights from moving. That would be the first thing that I would check. It wouldn't hurt to scrub the edges of the belt too, just to reduce glaze on the belt.

Was there spark to both plugs? If one plug wasn't firing, you may not be able to get enough RPM to move the movable sheave to engage the belt.
I will clean the primary and put a new belt on. What do you recommend for cleaning just compressed air and scotchbrite on the sheaves (perhaps this is taboo to even ask!!) ?
This is a new to me sled so no clue when it was last cleaned up.

It did have spark to both plugs -- I revved it up to around 7-8000 :)

·
Super Moderator
17,006 Posts
I use Simple Green and a scotchbrite pad and HOT water, then rinse with hot water until the cleaner is gone. If the engine is hitting 8000, it's definitely not an engine problem! Cleaning and a new belt would be a good first step, and go from there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll drag that pig into the garage and give it a good cleaning and let you guys know where I end up.
Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can anyone recommend a good clutch puller to get for this sled? Found some on ebay just curious if thats the way to go?? I've got expensive and cheap 3 jaw pullers and there is a big difference :)

I'm not a sled mechanic...sorry for the dumb questions!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts