Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
bought my first sled last year.. Its a 99 polaris classic touring, 500 cc.

where is the chaincase drain plug? i look under the chaincase and there is no drain plug anywhere? Am i blind lol

How many grease zerks are there ? I found one of each of the ski arms, 3 inbetween the track and one inside the engine right in the center. Am i missing any? Do I just pump in Waterproof grease until it doesnt take anymore?

My Carbs were cleaned last year right before i bought the sled and she starts easy so i dont think i will tackle them.

I checked all the wheels underneth the track( not sure what they are callled and none of them have any play in them ) the track itself looks good... No rips or tears.

Coolant is bright green and filled up.

What else should i be looking for?
Does anyone know where I can get a Manual for my sled? I couldnt find anything for it online.

Thank you all !

·
Super Moderator
16,807 Posts
The Polaris microfiche shows a drain plug on the bottom, you may have to look under the sled to find it. If it's absent (possible) then use a suction tube to remove the bulk of it through the fill hole, put a bunch of paper towels in the belly pan under the chaincase, and remove the cover. I like doing it that way as it allows me to visually check the chain and sprockets and also do a better job of getting the crud out of the chaincase.

There are probably 5 grease fittings in the suspension, if you look at the Polaris diagrams, you can locate them on the drawing.

Browse

I would also use some motor oil and lube the tie rod and steering linkage Heim joints.

Make sure the clutches are clean, sometimes a band of black rubber transfers to the clutch and can make the clutch slip. Checking the skis and carbides or wear bars, and checking track alignment and tension are a couple of other yearly tasks. Make sure the hyfax in the rear suspension is not excessively worn. There are a few stickies on the engine/drivetrain forum that have to do with maintenance to give you more work to do ;)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yes, you have to get at it from underneath the sled. There is a hole, and the hex head plug is up in the hole.

·
Registered
328 Posts
normally grease about 3-5 pumps, or more if felt nessecary make sure you get the jackshaft and driveshaft greased, youll have to remove the bolt on the secondary clutch then slide it out an inch or so to get at it, then get the one on the very bottom shaft where the speedometer cable goes, those bearings are known to blow due to lack of greasing. then of course the five on the suspension ones one the skis an on the steering. then give the Joints for all the steering components a shot of some w40 or ggrease and work it in there

·
Registered
328 Posts
yeeah thats somthing to check, sticker one of those magnet extender poles down the check hole to the bottom of the case and swirl it around a bit and see if you bring up any chunks, some fine shavings would be normal, but you dont want any gear teeht hanging around in there

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
preseason maintence

ive seen damage from many loose chains i just had to put new chain and tensioner on mine hawkster i did leave u message under your name didnt want to waste this persons time

1 - 9 of 9 Posts