Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey,
im new here, i ride quads and just bought a 1989 Yamaha SRV 540. it huals @ss, for as old as it is. but it had never been rebuilt so this summer i decided to tear the top end down. it still ran, but the one clyinder and piston where scored really bad but the other one next to the fan was fine. i figured b/c that one stayed cooler then the other one b/c it is right next to the fan instead of the clutch which heats up. so it had to be bored .020 over and got new wesico pistons and cometic gaskets(same as my quad:D )

so, when it was apart i was looking at the oil injection. i have decided to take it off and run premix with the new top end. i have a few questions. 1.what is the ratio of the stock oil injection? 2. what should i mix at now? i mix my blaster at 32:1 but i didnt know what ratio since its colder and everything. 3. can i take off the pump everything else, and then take everything out of the pump and put it back on to act as a block off plate? and then of coure take off the tank and lines.:)

Thanks everyone for your help. Jason

·
Registered
98 Posts
Welcome!

The oil injection pump would adjust the amount of oil to the motor depending on the throttle position. Idle, not much oil, full throttle, some would go down to 25:1. Most pre mix sleds of that time ran 50:1. 40:1 was used as break in mix for a new motor. 36:1 is a lot of oil. It will run, but will be a real smoker and could foul plugs a bunch. I would just leave the oil injection on if it is working. The Yamaha pumps worked great. Just add about 8 oz. of oil to the gas for your first tank with also running the oil injection after the rebuild. After that, you should be good to go with just the oil injection.

Make sure you replace the crank seals. You could have had a bad seal on the clutch side and that would cause it to run lean on that side. That would do the damage that you have.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I have a SRV and went to great pains to rebuild it and the oil injection system

Premix is fine if all you do is ride around your yard!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts