Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, im as new as it comes to snowmobile riding got my first one about a day ago. the probles to me seems that it takes a lot of rpms to engage the clutch. it dont engage till about 5100 rpm the sled is and appears to be a stock 92 polaris indy, runs very well after it engages, with no viberations at all and have even had it down the road at 80 mph, so can any one help just seems to me thats alot of rpms to get it going. just wondering if alls it needs ia a good cleaning.
thanks Thomas

ps i did see that it has a blue clutch spring

·
Super Moderator
18,338 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

The blue spring would be correct if it's a 440 Indy. It's very possible that things are sticky and binding up, give the clutch a good cleaning just to rule that out. Try blowing it out with compressed air first, you will be amazed at how much belt dust accumulates! Then if you don't have a clutch puller, you can do a pretty good job by removing the belt and using a cleaner like Simple Green. Clean the sheave faces with a green scotchbrite pad and make sure to do a good job rinsing. Do not apply any lubrication, the clutch is designed to run dry. Any lube will attract belt dust and make the problem recur.

·
Registered
26,128 Posts
If you remove the cover there may be a simple spacer in there to raise the engagement. I personally use 120 grit sand paper and compressed air, ONLY!

·
Registered
329 Posts
I usually change the spring after 5 yrs,,and insp. the clutch for wear ; for a noticeale difference. worth the couple bucks it costs.

5100 rpm is usually for if you race it a bit.; annoying if you ride under 30 though.

·
'93 Phazer and The Kid
1,145 Posts
It may be normal for Polaris. I have one and a buddy has two. All of them don't engage until 5k +. I suppose all our clutches could need attention... The years range from '88 - '96.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so to pull that outter part of the clutch apart you need a puller cuz i really just to pull it apart so i can inspect all the parts and like i said im as new as it comes to snowmobiles but am mechanically inclined have been raceing quads for a long time and just came across this slled for $500 and couldnt pass it up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts