Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 94 Yamaha Vmax 500. It had been sitting for a few years (with the occasional run up). Took it out a few times and noticed it bogging down when full trottle is applied. If I give it half throttle its goes good. Once accelerated at half throttle if I give it anymore it boggs down again. Ive tried all grades of gas with no noticeable difference. Any ideas?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Possible. see a post called rich running xlt under the polaris forum, i posted a long response to start trouble shooting this problem. BUt i never thought of clutching, how many miles are on it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are 2500 miles on it. It looks very well taken care of. I don't know much about the clutch, but to me it seems to have symptoms of fuel issues. I'll look up your post.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I took the carbs off today to clean them and found one neddle jet was stuck. I poped it out and noticed some scoring on the neddle jet and cylinder wall of the carb. Any idea if the cylinder wall can be polished? I polished the neddle jet with crocus cloth but can't get into the cylinder. By the way, one of the main jets had a little bit of scum in it.

·
Registered
482 Posts
If there are no gouges, Dont worry about the throttle bore.
just clean the carbs it'll be fine.

a little wear on the throttle body and carb bore is normal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Fendrguy. There are no gouges however the neddle jet does not slide freely like the other one. It gets stuck in the seated position. Is this going to be a problem?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
IF YOUR NEEDLE JET IS STILL STICKING AFTER YOU CLEANED IT I WOULD REPLACE IT THEY ARE CHEAP AND WOULD ELIMINATE FUTURE HEAD ACHES. AS LONG AS YOU HAVE THEM OFF REPLACE BOTH OF THEM

GOOD LUCK!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts