Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys i posted a few weeks ago about this sled with the flywheel being a pain well i got it off and i got in the crank case and the clutch side seal might be shot idk if it is when i took this sled apart the first time the clutch side piston was burned /melted on the exhaust side so i suspected a oil seal is bad on the clutch side could this be it ? because there is also no suction inside the clutchside carburetor i just wanna make sure so i get the right part thanks

·
Registered
323 Posts
Well the reason you have no suction on the clutch side is because of the hole in the piston... but, you still need to find the cause of the melted piston, which is usually because that cylinder got very lean which could be any one of 3 things, the carb is partially plugged and leaned out, the carb boot is split and sucking air, or where it bolts to the engine, the gasket is shot, or yes, the crank seal.

The carb and carb boot are easy to check and easy to fix or replace, by taking it apart and looking at it closely, the crank seal is more difficult, the only semi easy way to check a crank seal is with the engine running, spray some carb spray on the seal and see if the RPM changes, but that toasted piston would need to be fixed first to use that method.

so, your only option then is decide if you just want to dive in and replace the seal for good measure, which requires taking the engine out, and splitting the case.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok i put new pistons in it fixed that problem the carburetor boot has no cracks in it and it is perfectly fine and the cylinder base gasket is also ok and i have the case split and i found that the clutch side seal is missing parts of it and they are all over the crank so my guess its definately the seal and the spring that goes around the seal is also missing so my guess is that the seal went out then that leaned out the mixture then that burned up the piston right ? so its the seal thats bad ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts