Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive tire Household hardware Engineering Auto part Thumb

Hi all, I have a Polaris xc sp 500. I was curious if my guess on why my sled is running rich is correct. My plugs seemed to be fouled and I was thinking maybe they were causing my sled to run rich. The sled would start good sometimes while riding and not great other times. It would also bog a little. Compression is 120 each cylinder. The sled also had an excessive amount of smoke coming out. From the exhaust. Any responses would be great!

· Administrator
19,575 Posts
Running rich is causing your plugs to foul, not the other way around. Your jetting is rich for the temperature and elevation. It may be fine once the weather cools off and you are on the snow.

Polaris jetting charts are pretty rich, plugs are cheaper than warranty claims for holes in the pistons ;) If it's cold out and you put a tank of gas through the sled and the plugs look like that, you may be able to drop the main jet down a size. 120 is ok for compression, not stellar. A lot of times on Polaris sleds I have had in the past, if you hold the throttle wide open when starting after it's been running for a while, it seems to start easier. That was really apparent on the Edge sleds I had over the years. Be prepared to let go of the throttle when it starts, though!

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Running rich is causing your plugs to foul, not the other way around. Your jetting is rich for the temperature and elevation. It may be fine once the weather cools off and you are on the snow.

Polaris jetting charts are pretty rich, plugs are cheaper than warranty claims for holes in the pistons ;) If it's cold out and you put a tank of gas through the sled and the plugs look like that, you may be able to drop the main jet down a size. 120 is ok for compression, not stellar. A lot of times on Polaris sleds I have had in the past, if you hold the throttle wide open when starting after it's been running for a while, it seems to start easier. That was really apparent on the Edge sleds I had over the years. Be prepared to let go of the throttle when it starts, though!
So I cleaned the carbs and the pilots were clogged up. Gonna put fresh gas in it and new plugs and see how she runs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts