Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 Polaris Ultra 680 SP that we cracked a head on last year. All the antifreeze just came pouring out the exhaust. I have replaced all of the heads, and all the upper gaskets, it runs great, sits there and purrs, starts first pull, but the thing is just steaming up a cloud through the exhaust. Could the antifreeze just be burning out of the exhaust. It is an awful lot of steam, and gets worse once the engine has warmed up. I have all three cylinders off, inspected them, regasketed them, all looks good. Any ideas?

·
Fool Injected
210 Posts
If your not losing coolant from the bottle then it is probably just burning out of the exhaust... I would keep and eye on the temperature and take it for a run to clean it out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. That is my plan first thing in the morning, I was going to go tonight but the temps are below zero right now and did not want to break down in the subzero temps. Hopefully that is all it is.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Saw your post and I had the same exact problem today on my ultra. Ran great last time I rode and pulled it over today (month later after some below zero temps) and coolant just poured out of exhaust. How did you know what head was cracked? Does compression test show it? Did you wash out the crank case as well to get the coolant off the bearings? Just hoping to avoid some problems when I start tearing into this thing tomorrow so any input you have is appreciated. Strange though, the thing still runs awesome, just blowing through coolant, maybe just blew a gasket cuz its not sucking out that much from coolant tank once it heated up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Make sure you check the water pump - those things go out constantly. My XCR 700 water pump went out last year. I tore the entire engine apart thinking it was a head or something else. I put it all back together and it still kept fouling plugs and antifreeze was in the cylinder. Finally, someone said to check the water pump - sure enough, it needed a rebuild. It cost $120 for the dealer to rebuild and that was the only problem! Last week, the same thing happened to my 97 Ultra. Rebuilt the pump, no more leaking antifreeze into the cylinder and through the exhaust...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts