Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Vmax 500 dx
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,
I'm new here. I have 2 1990 indy 500's with full skid/track/front suspension. they don't work. I have a fully functional 1994 Vmax 500 dx. I'm starting to try to value the smaller things in life like personal comfort over high speed. I am trying to swap the front suspension from the Polaris to the Yamaha. I was wondering if any of you experienced snowmobile aficionados would be able to offer some insight into the process. Would I have to weld new mounts or anything special? would the Polaris front suspension even work? I am only trying to swap front suspension, not the rear. thanks, guys/gals.

·
Registered
294 Posts
It would take a TON of fabrication to make it work. You would be totally rebuilding the front frame of the Yamaha. It would be easier to make a new engine mount and just switch the engine from the Yamaha to the Polaris.

·
Registered
1994 Vmax 500 dx
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the Polaris suspension better because it has actually a-arms/trailing arms and coiled suspension as opposed to a simple gas shock that could be leaking. if I had better suspension alternatives at hand I would use them but ill scope out trying to engine swap into the Polaris. the Yamaha I have has poor suspension upfront but good suspension in the rear. the Polaris has good front suspension and I have 2 indy's at my disposal that don't run so I thought it might be good to just swap. I have welders, drill presses, and many more tools at my disposal but if the project is going to be a lot of money (like 400$ plus) ill just try finding a suspension rebuild kit for the Yamaha if I can find one. thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
18,109 Posts
What's wrong with the engines in the Polaris machines? The 500 Fuji has been used by Polaris more than any other engine for more years. What ever has failed on those can be fixed, or you could find a good used engine and swap it in. No fuss, no muss.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Your best bet is to fix the Polaris with the 2 sleds you have, then find an rear Xtra-10 suspension from a '95 and up Polaris sled and do that modification. That has been done thousands of times with great success. There is even a thread on it here not too mention on every single snowmobile forum site on the net. Plus Xtra-10 suspensions can be had for about a 100 bucks sometimes 150 or so with Fox Shocks on them which makes the ride even nicer.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Here is a link for a company that will rebuild the front TSS shock.

·
Registered
1994 Vmax 500 dx
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What's wrong with the engines in the Polaris machines? The 500 Fuji has been used by Polaris more than any other engine for more years. What ever has failed on those can be fixed, or you could find a good used engine and swap it in. No fuss, no muss.
the engine of one works fine but idles high enough to activate the clutch even though it had a full engine rebuild, carb clean, and I adjusted to the fuel-air mixture to spec as well as the idle screws are almost all of the way out. the other engine just doesn't want to run even though it was fully rebuilt with like a half-hour on the rebuild. one of the Indy's runs but the other sits.

·
Registered
1994 Vmax 500 dx
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1994 Vmax 500 dx
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your best bet is to fix the Polaris with the 2 sleds you have, then find an rear Xtra-10 suspension from a '95 and up Polaris sled and do that modification. That has been done thousands of times with great success. There is even a thread on it here not too mention on every single snowmobile forum site on the net. Plus Xtra-10 suspensions can be had for about a 100 bucks sometimes 150 or so with Fox Shocks on them which makes the ride even nicer.
thanks, I was thinking of engine swapping because the working engine is in the short tracked on and the other sled has the 136'' track. the engine works but idles way too high.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts