Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys so i bought a 1993 Polaris sp 500 last winter that needed some suspension work it was making some funky noises and it looks like the studs where going into the front of the tunnel. so i just took out the skid and decided to open up the chain case to see how it looked in there and there was a bit of metal shavings on the magnet is it normal for there to be some on it or could that be a serious problem.all the gears and stuff seemed to be in good order no broken pices off them. anyways any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

·
Super Moderator
18,403 Posts
It's pretty normal to have some fine metal on the magnet. That is one reason to change the chaincase oil yearly, to keep the oil fresh. The longer between oil changes, the more metal will be on the magnet.

Big chunks would be a reason to be concerned...

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Make sure you use a full synthetic Chaincase oil from Polaris or Amsoil or Klotz as that is what Polaris recommends in those now. Also yep why the magnet is there. Make sure the chaincase bearings are okay, the seals are not leaking and the adjuster is still working properly and adjust the chain as well. Click the link below then polaris then 1985-1995 service manual from Polaris which will have the adjustment procedure in it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok thanks everybody for the help i will just clean off the shavings before i put it back together.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts