Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys does anyone know any thing about the efi on a 650?when i go to start it it fires and then floads out.than i have to pull the drain bolts uot of bottom end and drain gas out of crank case unplug the injecters and start it and quickly plug the injecters back in but it runs rich i changed the whole fuel rail and it still does the same thing battery is charged its giving me a code of the crank case sencer but i cant find it any wherre on it i just put a hole new bottom end in it and fresh top end all new seals and never seen a crank case sencer any where can someone help me before i have to rip the efi of this thing and put carbs on it thanks jason

·
Registered
321 Posts
looking in my manual, it shows a yellow wire coming out of the #9 position on the EFI to the crankcase temp sensor. I'll research a little more and see if I can find any more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok i have a yellow wire that has the end broke off it on the bottom of the coolant rail on top but it still was flooding out befor i broke that off i kinda thought that that was it but i figured it would be on the bottom of crank case. just cant figure out why it floods so bad

·
Registered
321 Posts
ok, if your sled has one it is located on the upper crankcase half on the mag end.
looks to be about the center of the mag end piston

·
Registered
321 Posts
All though I'm no expert on EFIs(or anything else that doesn't pertain to Railroad crossing equip for that matter) I'll tell you what I think. Your fuel has to be coming from the fuel rail,which is fed by the fuel pump. There is a relay that controls the fuel pump. Maybe that relay is sticking and causing the pump to run after you turn off the sled and flooding the system.

·
Registered
321 Posts
no that would be the coolant sensor. What did we do before we had all the sensors to deal with. If you are going to work on your sled, you might try to pick up a clymers for the Polaris, I've found it to be really helpful. Not that I might helping you, but if your anything like me, I have to read it six times before it sinks in. Also the pictures might help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i changed all of the relays also then i figured it might be the regalater so i changed the complete fuel rail carbs and throttle positoin sencer and it still does it im almost thinking the computer might be shot thanks for the info ken

·
Registered
321 Posts
also, don't feel alone in wanting to go to carbs. But I have a 680 with carbs and sometimes I wish it were EFI, especially when you have a dirty carb times 3. arrgh

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
im a full time mechanic for small engines and my parts supplyer cant get me one for that but i can probly get one from the dealer just didnt want to spend the money figured somone might have had that same prob.ill prob just take the efi off it and put carbs on it.thanks agan ken

·
Registered
321 Posts
could it be that since that wire is broken off the crankcase sensor or the sensor is bad, its telling the computer the engine is still warm and to send it more fuel?

·
Sconnie
1,745 Posts
heres my thoughts. been plagued by troubles like this on my sled many times.

first thought was fuel pressure. You say it has a new fuel regulator. You may want to tee a fuel pressure guage into the fuel lines and measure fuel pressure to be sure it's not too high. Your return line could also be plugged. I would definitaly check on that, blow through it and make sure it's free.

Second thing, are all three cylinders running very rich, or just one, or two? could be stuck injectors... You can test the injectors by grounding out their pins on the main computer plug with ignition on. they should click if they are working. Don't hold them grounded though, or you will burn them out. just click them on and off real quick.

next thought is possibly throttle position sensor, or TPS. I can't remember the specific voltage it should be reading at idle and WOT, but i'm sure someone (mrholmquist) will know and could provide a better description of how to test this part.

Last thing I would test is the computer, as thats the most expensive part, unless you have another one laying around.

I do happen to have some spare parts for the sled if you need them cheaper, I have a whole spare efi system minus TPS and the computer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts