Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Polaris 700 classic with just 609 miles, and I when I hit the button for reverse, it kicks out, goes into reverse, and the reverse light flashes, but when I throttle it up, it won't move, and it just smells like it's burning the belt off of it. If I lift the back, the track will move in reverse, but the minute I put it down, and there is any sort of load on it, it will not move. Does anyone know what might be wrong with it? I would appreciate any and all help. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just bought this sled, ebay auction actually, so I don't know if this is a new problem or existing, except to say that the guy said there were no issues with it that he knew of. I don't think it's been ridden in 2 years though, since the last registration is 2009. I mean, it only has 609 miles, and on a 2003, that's absolutely nothing. The machine looks brand new inside and out, and I'd say it must have been stored indoors. I just don't know what to do to try and fix the issue.

·
Registered
794 Posts
How is the track alignment? could be the track is running to one side or the other and when it tries to reverse it hangs up on the tail end of the hifax also you might want to check the very end of the hifax on machines with reverse they should be beveled a little bit to keep the track windows and clips from catching on them when the track spins in reverse.

Other than that I would second the clutch issue I would take a look at the clutch while your trying to reverse it and see what is happening.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, so I was just fooling around with it in the yard, and now it seems to be going into reverse and moving just fine. Maybe it's just because it had been sitting for a while??? I dunno. I'm happy it's working, but it makes me nervous not knowing why it wasn't moving before...

·
Super Moderator
17,904 Posts
The way the PERC system works, when you push the button, the electronics retards the timing and stops/starts the engine at exactly the right moment to start the engine so it's running backwards. A 2-stroke engine doesn't really care which direction it runs, it will make power both ways. As the engine rotates backwards, it turns the secondary backwards as well. The helix has two sets of ramps, one for forward rotation, one for reverse. The reverse ramp is designed to limit speed so that you can't go 100 mph backwards. The rollers have to roll onto the reverse ramp to allow the drivetrain to move backwards. It's likely that because the sled has been sitting for a while, something in the secondary was corroded or dirty and stuck, which was not allowing the rollers to move up the reverse ramp in the helix. By moving the sled around, what ever was stuck got unstuck and now it's working normally. That's my best guess. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bc dan, that sounds like a very reasonable explanation. Thank you for the info on how the PERC works, and thanks to everyone who posted on here trying to help...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey guys
I have 2- 2002 RMK 800's. I am wondering if I can add a mechanical revese to them? I cannot find a PERC kit so I think the mechanical reverse is the way to go. I also cannot find the mechanical reverse kit, can anyone tell me what parts are in that kit to purchase in order to add it on my machines? Thank you for your help!

Jack

1 - 9 of 9 Posts