Snowmobile Forum banner

So what do you think about this recall...

• New sled designs usually have a few glitches the first year.

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • New crankshafts and fuel lines are not a small glitch! Thats just rushed engineering and not enough

Votes: 7 38.9%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Polaris Recalls 900 Fusion, 900 RMK

CPSC, Polaris Industries Announce Recall of 900 Fusion, 900 RMK Snowmobiles

The following product safety recall was voluntarily conducted by the firm in cooperation with the CPSC. Consumers should stop using the product immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of product: Polaris “900 Fusion” and “900 RMK 151” snowmobiles

Units: About 2,580 snowmobiles.

Manufacturer/Importer: Polaris Industries, Inc., of Medina, Minn.

Hazard: The fuel connections between the fuel line and the fuel pump and fuel filter can leak. Failure of the fuel connection can result in leaking fuel and a possible fire, which can result in severe injury or death. In addition, the drive shaft may have been incorrectly heat treated resulting in brittle drive shafts that could fail at lower loads than the shafts were originally designed to meet. Failure of the drive shaft can result in a loss of braking of the snowmobile and severe injury or death.

Incidents/Injuries: There have been no incidents or injuries reported.

Description: Model year 2005 Polaris “900 Fusion” and “900 RMK 151” snowmobiles with model numbers S05MP8DS(A)(B)(C) and S05PL8DSA are part of this recall. The model number is located on the vehicle identification tag located on the right side near the foot rest. The “900 Fusion” and “900 RMK 151” snowmobiles have either red/black or blue/silver/black seats with a red, black, or blue hood. “Fusion 900” or “RMK 900” is prominently displayed on the sides of the body.

Sold at: Polaris dealers sold these snowmobiles nationwide from June 30, 2004 to October 7, 2004 for between $9,499 and $10,299.

Manufactured in: U.S.A.

Remedy: Free repair. Contact your Polaris dealer to schedule an appointment to install fuel line connection clamps and a replacement drive shaft. Polaris has notified consumers directly about this recall.

Consumer Contact: Call Polaris at (800) 765-2747 between 8 a.m. and 12 midnight ET everyday, or log on to the company’s Web site at www.polarisindustries.com

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
The most important thing is that Polaris stood behind their products and that is truly the case. Unlike most other manufacturers (like automobile) they didn't wait until accident claims pile up enough for government to conduct an invesigation. Good job Polaris, I am graceful to be one of Polaris proud owner whom they cares about. ;)

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
We had a thread here a couple months ago about the brittle jackshafts, but I didn't know about the fuel line thing. Easy fix on that anyway...

·
Administrator
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I totally agree Polaris is doing the right thing... no doubt. I would be a little skeptical about the testing program on the new sleds.... however I believe Polaris would not release a sled if they knew of the issues. 2,600 sleds to put driveshafts and fuel lines in has to be an expensive project.

·
four gear pinned
1,991 Posts
I think they caught most of them in the factory before delivery

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Cobra said:
I totally agree Polaris is doing the right thing... no doubt. I would be a little skeptical about the testing program on the new sleds.... however I believe Polaris would not release a sled if they knew of the issues. 2,600 sleds to put driveshafts and fuel lines in has to be an expensive project.
Yeah good job Polaris for standing behind your product

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Give them time to sort out the problems and they will have it fixed just like the firecats!:D

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
i think polaris did the right thing too. i can see what sledhead is saying, wait a year and let them work out any problems that come up for next year.

and what happend with the firecats?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts