Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
19,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Affected sleds include 2021-23 Matryx, 2015-22 AXYS, and some 2013-14 Trail Performance (Pro-Ride) snowmobiles due to potential for gas tank explosions. 30 events have occured with 16 fires and one injury. Polaris is working up a fix but if you have to start your sled, make sure the tank is full.

Polaris is pointing at inferior gas as a main cause.

Great. Can't wait to have to trailer my sled 90 miles to get a repair next winter when the only dealer within 100 miles may have time to get me fixed.

·
Administrator
19,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Polaris says that bad gas, coupled with the plastic gas tank, develops enough static electricity to cause the vapors inside the tank to ignite. It's suggested if you have to ride the sled to make sure that the tank is full to minimize vapors. I'm wondering what the fix will be. The local Polaris dealership quit selling snowmobiles a few years ago and I do not know if they will be allowed to do any recall repair, as the tech is not snowmobile-certified.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Wonder if they went with a more flexible tank which can create more static electricity than your ABS style plastics.

·
Administrator
19,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya, I got my letter Saturday for my SKS. I'm not worried. But my sled is already at my house... I feel for you.

It will be curious as to what the fix will be. I hope it's something easy and do-able at home... I don't want to cart my sled 100 miles to the closest dealer now that the Polaris dealer here quit selling sleds. That dealer is going to be pounded once a fix comes in. What a mess.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts