Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a 1995 Polaris Indy sport 440 fan cooled sled with stock carbs on it I have a set of carbs from a xcr 440 liquid cooled I am wondering if I can put the bigger carbs on my fan cooled without having any issues?

·
Super Moderator
16,700 Posts
You will probably be way over-fueled. The air velocity through the carb will be slower with the bigger carb, so that means it won't be as good at picking up fuel from the carb fuel circuits. If you go to a bigger carb, to get any increase in performance, you would need to change the exhaust to take advantage of the increased capacity of the carbs. But with the low compression of the fan engine, the gains may not be worth the effort.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Nope those carbs will not work as they are 38mm carbs and as dan said will be way too much for that sled.

Not only that but as he said the exhaust would need to be changed to the xcr exhaust as they may look the same but they are not. I have done conversions on Liquid Cooled stock 440s to the XCR components and you also need the cylinder head as well.

Also the Sport 440 is a 432 engine vs the 438 of the XCR 440s and L/C stock 440s. Which means none of the parts from a Liquid Cooled stock or XCR 440 will work.

However if you decide to sell those carbs I would be interested as I need set of Polaris 38mm Mikunis.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Only choice imho would be either to do a complete swap to a liquid cooled engine in that bay, which would be a chore adding in all the radiators and what not.

Or go buy a different sled and right now idk where he is but sleds are cheap right now as people are trying to dump them before the season starts. You can get a damn nice used sled these days for decent prices.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts