Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Im new to snowmobiling. Just bought my first two sleds.

One of the sleds wont start and I'm having trouble troubleshooting it. I just took the carb off and cleaned it out following this video. I also replaced the battery. When start via the electric start, I get a loud "clank" and then nothing. I think the starter might be gone. If I pull it, the engine turns, but nothing. Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
17,303 Posts
It takes spark, fuel, and compression for an engine to run. Take 'em one by one to determine which one is your issue.

Do you have spark? If so, dribble a bit of mixed gas (chainsaw fuel works great) down the plug holes and see if it will pop. If it tries to start, it's a fuel issue. If it doesn't, check compression. If you have less than 100 psi compression, it's likely the engine has some issues that won't allow it to start.

That will at least get you pointed down the trail to getting 'em running.

Good luck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your suggestions.

I checked the spark... its there. Not sure how to tell if its producing ENOUGH spark though. Is there a way to measure this?

One thing I noticed that might come into play... If I use the electric start, the starter hits the flywheel often producing a large Clank. But as of this morning, when it hit the flywheel, the flywheel started spinning.... but SLOWLY. It almost seemed caught and made me thing the crank was sticking. BUT, when I use the manual pull start, the flywheel spins ok. Its a bit hard, but it spins. I tried manually starting my other sled (also a 2000 indy 600) and I found the pull to take equal strength.

Does this produce any more thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
17,303 Posts
I would suspect a bad starter. The starter has a bendix on the end that engages a gear on the back of the primary pulley. High current through the starter from wear or gunk could make it so the starter can't turn fast enough to start the engine. Sometimes just pulling the starter and cleaning it can free it up enough to remedy the problem. New starters are spendy spendy. If you price one out, you will be convinced to pull start it from now on ;)

·
Super Moderator
17,303 Posts
if it starts with a bit of fuel, it is obviously fuel related. First, take the fuel line off the carb(s). Put the end in a container and pull the rope. If there's no fuel coming out, you could have a bad fuel pump diaphragm or a pick-up tube problem in the tank, or the fuel shut off is in the off position.

If you have a bit of fuel come out with each pull of the rope, I would suspect stuck inlet needle/seats in the carbs or improperly adjusted floats. It's easy for the needle/seat to stick with varnish when the sled sits for a bit of time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I searched for hours to see if the sled came with a fuel shut off. I see nothing in the manual, nor any videos or articles on the Web.

I also thought about a fuel filter problem, as the manual does talk about a fuel filter, but offers no guidance as to where it is (could be another model for all I know).

Silly questions, but do all sleds have fuel filters and and fuel shut-offs? All I could find on my was a general kill/power switch on the handlebars. That of course is in the on position.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Most sleds do not have fuel filters and about half of them have shut off valves.

In my experience, most under 500cc sleds do not have shut off. and flip of that, most 500cc and over do have shutoffs. In my opinion, every sled needs to have a shutoff. I've had sleds flood out just bouncing down the road on the trailer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took my carbs off and cleaned them. Given that, its probably fuel pump related based on what you guys are telling me.

Its a 2000 indy 600 touring.

·
Registered
787 Posts
If your machine has been sitting for a while it may just need to have fuel pump primed. I do that by using my air compressor to blow air into fuel tank through the tank's vent line. Don't use too much or you might damage tank. Once I do that it usually only takes a pull or two for the machine to fire and run. Fuel shut off should be located over on the right hand side near coolant overflow bottle.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
if it starts with a bit of fuel, it is obviously fuel related. First, take the fuel line off the carb(s). Put the end in a container and pull the rope. If there's no fuel coming out, you could have a bad fuel pump diaphragm or a pick-up tube problem in the tank, or the fuel shut off is in the off position.

If you have a bit of fuel come out with each pull of the rope, I would suspect stuck inlet needle/seats in the carbs or improperly adjusted floats. It's easy for the needle/seat to stick with varnish when the sled sits for a bit of time.
Yes just as Dan said a small amount of fuel down the cylinder, also check the obvious fuel turned on and kill switch is pulled up. I only say this because they are your first sleds so I don't know how familiar you are with the basics.
I think I put too much fuel in the cylinder. It stopped turning over using this method. What do I do?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
first, thanks so much for your responses. You've really helped me learn a bit about a sled as I troubleshoot here. But, now I'm totally stumped. Here's what I've done.. perhaps you can help me figure out my next steps.
  1. Took the carbs out and cleaned the bottom jets. (ignored the top part of the carb as the video here suggests the bottom jets are the routine part).
  2. Changed the plugs. Took the plugs out of the cylinders, but kept them in the plug wires and grounded to the cylinder heads to check for spark. There's spark.
    1. out of curiosity, I used another set of plugs from my other Indy that will start (just to rule out whether or not the new plugs were exactly compatible).
  3. Took the fuel line off the carbs and pulled the manual pull-start to see if the fuel pump pumped fuel. it did.
  4. Changed the battery for a new one. Although this was a bit of a mess as the battery shipped without acid. Had to order acid separately which came in an incompatible plastic sheathing. had to find a way to pour equal amounts down each opening in the battery. Im sure I wasn't entirely equal. I think I was supposed to fill the remainder with distilled water, but didnt. Charged the battery. Despite charging, I cannot start using the starting motor, but I think that's just because the starter is shit.
What am I missing? I have fuel. I have spark. I have air. I don't know what to check next.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
couple other points to note...
  1. The carbs looked pretty damn clean when I took them apart. prior owner said they were cleaned a little while ago. Also said the sled historically "ran cold" meaning that he always had problems starting it.
  2. There is no fuel shut off. At least I couldn't find it. I believe there isn't one, and even if there is, its not in the off position as fuel is arriving at the carbs when pulled.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
oh, and:
  1. Even when I pour fuel down the cylinder, it not longer seems to start. To make sure the cylinder heads were not flooded, I tried KCCats2 recommendation and plugged the plugs, and pulled with a rag and nothing came out. Since nothing came out, I tried a little more fuel, but no luck.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
No you must take every jet out and clean them, NEVER Ignore those other jets. That video is wrong plain and simple. Those other jets can cause you not to start.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts