Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 1998 Polaris Indy 500 this summer and finally got it on the trials this weekend. After about 3 miles of riding taking her easy I could tell it wasn’t giving me full power and was barely going 25 at 6500. And then a few second later the temp light turned on. I shut it off and let it cool and limped it back home. What was weird was when I got home the running boards where hot to the touch and was steaming. I was thinking the water pump but why would the running boards be so hot. Also seen something about the radiator cap not sure on how you know it’s bad. Any ideas of what the problem might be would be great
Thanks

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Radiator cap on those are a easy fix as you can pick those up at any parts store for 5 bucks. Those should be replaced every few years as over time they can loose the ability to keep the right amount of pressure in a system. Make sure you get the same LB rating do NOT go bigger as putting too much pressure into a system can cause issues. Also there is a belt for the water pump as well behind the recoil. It maybe as simple as there is air in the system. Make sure that isn't gone if so then you need to replace it. Check the level and if it is low, try burping it and see what happens. I had that happen to my '97 Indy 500 a couple of years ago. My levels were low, do not go just buy the coolant overflow bottle That also should be filled to the max level line once the air is out. Underneath the running boards there are cooling radiators that coolant flows through. That is why they would be hot and steaming as there was no coolant running through them.

·
Super Moderator
17,394 Posts
What kind of snow were you riding in? If it was really hardpack, it's possible that the radiators under the running boards were not getting pummeled by the snow from the track. That's pretty much how the engine is cooled; snow from the track hits the heat exchangers under the running boards, which cools the coolant as it travels through the exchanger.

When riding, the heat exchangers should be hot, which also has the benefit of helping melt any snow on the running boards. In fact, if you are having overheating problems, piling snow on top of the running boards can help cool the coolant.

I would do as coolhand suggests and check the coolant level as well as making sure the belt is ok. You can also add ice scratchers to the rails or even to the ski spindle to assist in having snow/ice hit the heat exchangers on those days when the trails are like concrete. You should also veer off the trail a bit once in a while on days like that to make sure you are getting snow to hit the exchangers. Stopping and rubbing ice balls on the exchangers will also bring down temps pretty quickly.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for
What kind of snow were you riding in? If it was really hardpack, it's possible that the radiators under the running boards were not getting pummeled by the snow from the track. That's pretty much how the engine is cooled; snow from the track hits the heat exchangers under the running boards, which cools the coolant as it travels through the exchanger.

When riding, the heat exchangers should be hot, which also has the benefit of helping melt any snow on the running boards. In fact, if you are having overheating problems, piling snow on top of the running boards can help cool the coolant.

I would do as coolhand suggests and check the coolant level as well as making sure the belt is ok. You can also add ice scratchers to the rails or even to the ski spindle to assist in having snow/ice hit the heat exchangers on those days when the trails are like concrete. You should also veer off the trail a bit once in a while on days like that to make sure you are getting snow to hit the exchangers. Stopping and rubbing ice balls on the exchangers will also bring down temps pretty quickly.

Welcome to the forum!
thanks for the recommendations and yes i was trail riding

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Radiator cap on those are a easy fix as you can pick those up at any parts store for 5 bucks. Those should be replaced every few years as over time they can loose the ability to keep the right amount of pressure in a system. Make sure you get the same LB rating do NOT go bigger as putting too much pressure into a system can cause issues. Also there is a belt for the water pump as well behind the recoil. It maybe as simple as there is air in the system. Make sure that isn't gone if so then you need to replace it. Check the level and if it is low, try burping it and see what happens. I had that happen to my '97 Indy 500 a couple of years ago. My levels were low, do not go just buy the coolant overflow bottle That also should be filled to the max level line once the air is out. Underneath the running boards there are cooling radiators that coolant flows through. That is why they would be hot and steaming as there was no coolant running through them.
Check the levels of coolant in the reservoir?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
No pull the cap and see if there is any coolant in it. Fill it up to just below the ridge of the fill tube or if you overfill when you put your cap back on it will spill out and over your engine. If that happens make sure you wipe it up right away or it will burn off and you will smell burnt coolant which isn't the greatest smell.

I still think that either there is not enough coolant in the system, or the belt/water pump isn't working as I have never had mine steaming like that even when the overheat illuminated on mine. It was overheating because there was not enough coolant in the entire system. Why? Because I had air in the system which can happen over time on those sleds. Replace the cap, fill it up will as much coolant as it will take, fill the reservoir up to the max line. Start it up and see what happens. Don't pull the cap right off but sometimes if you lift up the lever on it (fyi that should be a lever type pressure cap) and you hear a hiss...you have air in the system meaning you have to burp the system and get rid of the air.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
That shouldn't be a 19-21lb cap to begin with. Also you can get them at any auto parts store.

Let me find out what mine is as 19-21 is not right. Mine were 12-14iirc

And no Mr. Disorganized is wrong. It is not the same and no it is NOT fine. If you look that other one says 7lbs on it.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Let me have someone check the one at my parents house as it uses the same cap that my '92 Indy 500 uses and it is the same on my '98 Indy 440 L/C

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I'll be damned it is a 19-21lb cap! Dad was out there as I called him and he checked really quick. I am off either way that other one is wrong. It will NOT work as it says 7lbs.

Let me find you the right one.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
You want Stant 10381, that is a 19-22lb cap. That is the perfect cap for yours. HOWEVER if you take that number to a local parts store you will get it for a dollar or two more and have it right then and there. Just make sure it says 19-21LB on it and you will be good. Last 2 I bought I bought at Fleet-Farm for 8 bucks total for 2 of them. I replace mine every 4-5 years. Make sure your water pump belt is ok as well as me and dan said. Make sure the levels are ok and that you don't need to burp a air pocket out of it. Fill it to the top, fill the reservoir to the max line and go from there.

Yes I understand that BUT you also said "other then that is is fine", putting that low of a LB cap on it would cause even more issues.

Go with the Stant 10381, that is exactly what you have now without paying 80 dollars at the stealership. Plus if you want it first thing tomorrow or heck even today...always hit up the auto zone or oreillys! :D

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Sigh I know, just a bad day. I didn't mean to come across the way it probably did.

Either way at least he has the correct one he needs now. I just hope between the cap and filling it up and doing a burp on the system that is it. Luckily that is all it was for me last time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sigh I know, just a bad day. I didn't mean to come across the way it probably did.

Either way at least he has the correct one he needs now. I just hope between the cap and filling it up and doing a burp on the system that is it. Luckily that is all it was for me last time.
Thanks for all the help guys going to pick up the cap this week and burp out the system and see if I have time to take it for a ride. I will let yall know what I figure out
Thankss

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Good luck and let us know. If you want clutching recommendations let me know as I have mine finally tweaked after about 20 different combinations of springs, helixes and a whole bunch of testing,lol.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good luck and let us know. If you want clutching recommendations let me know as I have mine finally tweaked after about 20 different combinations of springs, helixes and a whole bunch of testing,lol.
Ya what is a good clutch combo to put in it

1 - 20 of 38 Posts