Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally there was enough snow to run my sled. I went out on the lake, took 4 laps around the lake. Enough to warm up the engine. I noticed a small pop or miss in the engine. Nothing to be warned about, it still had plenty of power. As I was coming off the lake, It happened. The engine shut down, the track quit turning, I started to slide sideways and finally came to a stop. Don't know what happened. I attempted to restart the engine, it pulled hard, after 3 pulls I quit. It seemed that when I pulled the starter rope it wanted to turn the track at the same time. I towed it off the lake. Next day I started the engine and it seemed to pull over hard. I took off the primary and secondary clutches and checked them over, I checked the chain case, no problem, I checked all bearings and no problems. I started the sled and proceeded to take a quick ride, made it about 100 yards, it started running rough, started to back fire thru the exhaust, then it quit. I got it started again and with the choke at 1/2 I made it back home. I took the carbs off and cleaned them and will install them tomorrow, I didn't find anything suspicious, Any suggestions. Thanks rc

·
Super Moderator
18,377 Posts
Wow. The track locking up would indicate a drivetrain problem, the backfiring sounds like engine. Double whammy?

It sure sounds like a primary clutch issue if you try to pull the rope and the track turns. Give it a good cleaning, check the spring, flyweights and rollers, and the main bushing. If the carb cleaning didn't solve the backfiring, you could have some issues with the safety switches in the throttle block or a TPS sensor problem.

·
simy03
74 Posts
I have the same sled, and had the same problem with the track turning when I pulled the rope, my episodes started after I grenaded a belt. I cleaned my primary good and my secondary, and haven't had the problem since. Like BC_Dan said, hopefully cleaning the carbs will solve your backfiring issue. Let us know how it turns out!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
06 Fusion

Well I took the clutch off, took it apart and cleaned it. Next I took the secondary off, took it apart and cleaned it. Now there is no problem with the track. I couldn't figure out the back firing and took it to a dealer, they readjusted the throttle cable. Presto it quit back firing and ran, when I picked it up. Then again the dealer has no big area to run the sled. I picked it up, was invited to go up north this weekend, so I decided to take it out and run it for a while. Got on the lake and after it reached 140 degrees, (approximately 3-4 Miles I put on it) it started to backfire. I headed off the lake and got on a road. The engine continued to backfire, I lost power, I put the choke on 1/2 way, it continued to run bad. I could only get 4500 rpm out of the engine and finally made it home. It sits in the yard. It goes back to the dealer tomorrow. Unless someone has a solution. Thanks all. cranky

·
simy03
74 Posts
You kinda got me stumped! Does your sled normally run at 140 degrees? Mine is consistently at 126-127, unless I'm going through town where I'm not picking up any snow on the cooler, and then it might get up to 145 or so. Not that 140 is high, it just seems weird why mine would run cooler than yours? I've also heard about the 600 being jetted to rich? Maybe ask them if that could be the culprit. Let me know what you find out!

·
Sir Poops A Lot
53 Posts
check the pipe and can. could be something worked loose inside, sleds will run like garbage if not properly exhausted. temps at 140 after running a lake for 3-4 miles with little snow kick back is normal.

edit: also, with the first time it quit, the sled wanting to move the track, that makes me think it's a problem with the crankshaft.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fusion

Some info. I don't recall my sled running at 140 degrees. I believe my sled ran in the 125 degree range same as your's. When I took the carbs off to clean them, I noticed the jets were 400's. Stock jets are 420's, so I purchased a set of 420's and put them in. I did notice a increase in exhaust smoke.
As far as a temp sensor malfunctioning that has crossed my mind and the sensor that works with low octane or the knock sensor. I will admit that I had gas from last year in the tank. I also emptied most of that gas out and replaced it with new 93 octane gas last weekend, with no improvement. When I inspected the chain case I also checked the exhaust. I didn't find anything loose or nests of critters. Today when the temperature readout said 140 degrees, the lake had about 6 inches of snow on it. Cooling should have not been the problem. I want to thank you for your input.
rc :dunno:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Can you trouble shoot the temp sensor with a multi-meter? And see what the output reads, vs what it is suposed to read? Thats where I would start now.

·
simy03
74 Posts
One more thing, what kind of plugs are you running?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Fusion backfire

Well I didn't check the heat sensor and I don't know about the dealership. As of 11 am, the sled is at the dealer. The spark plugs are Champion ****57****. They are what is recommended from Mfg. I normally like NGK's but due to having a Liberty engine rather that the Fuji 3 cylinder that lasts forever. I figure that if the Liberty engine was build and tested to use Champions I should use Champs. I put a set of NGK's in the Liberty and didn't see much difference, but the dealership didn't recommend them.
I have been notified that I need a new ignition module (a week before part comes in) and spark plug wires. I will update when I get more information. :dunno: Anyone know anything about Polaris ignition coil problems or have first hand knowledge?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Just last night my friend's Fusion had a similer problem. He reversed and shifted back into forward and it stalled out. Pulling on the cord turned the track too. His clutch had an arm slightly crooked holding the primary a little together and turning the belt. We wiggled the clutch with a bar just a tiny bit and it poped back out and seemed O.K. for a while. We stopped at a gas station and when leaving it happened again. He took it home and is taking it apart to inspect/fix.

·
simy03
74 Posts
cranky-

did you ever get the fusion figured out?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fusion backfire

:dunno:Well no! I could not solve the problem.:mad: I have gone as far as I can go. It's now up to the mechanic at the dealer and he believes it's the ignition coil and spark plug wires. The wires that I have on there now have a wear mark on one of them. In talking with my electrical friend. He believes the wear mark on the plug wire is causing the electricity to jump when the hood is closed. Thus at night time I cannot see the electricity jumping if the hood is down. They are waiting for parts. The ignition coil will be replaced, along with new spark plugs and wires, cleaned carbs with new 400 main jets. Parts are supposed to be in on Thursday. Then again with the big snow storm, only the ghost rider in the sky knows when they will be delivered. I am waiting patiently.:dunno:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fusion backfire

It is now Tuesday, Feb. 8, 2011. I now have my sled back from the dealer. There was a short delay due to a snowstorm between Michigan and Iowa. The dealer installed a new ignition coil, spark plug wires and carb boots, along with going thru the carbs. The sled runs again. I took it out for a 10 mile ride and didn't experience a problem. No backfire, so I believe the problem is solved. A few choices of what went wrong. (1) when the coil heated up it became weak and it had intermittent spark, thus causing a build up of gas, causing a backfire when the cylinder did spark :dunno: so I was told. (2) the coil was repositioned on the air cleaner box in the original place where it was supposed to be. :rolleyes:I repositioned it to have easier access to the carbs 3 years ago, :eek: I'm bad. (3) One of the spark plug wires was being pinched between the hood and the head cover of the engine, as the engine heated up it softened the spark plug wire and the wire eventually laid on the head cover,:dunno: causing a it to rub a grove in one of the wires, causing a short and thus not getting a good shot of electricity to one of the spark plugs. This is the thought process of what may have happened. Anyway It's running and I can get some riding in. Hope this info helps someone if they have the same problems. Look for the above maybe's.
Thanks all
rc

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
600 Fusion

Well back to square one. I thought the problem with my sled was solved. No way. I attempted to get in a ride at Grayling on Monday March 7 and 8th. It started off great, I went for a 30 mile ride, on Monday. Next day the sled started up great. We went 7 miles and the sled seized up or quit suddenly. Could not pull the engine over. I took out the spark plugs, waited 5 minutes. Pulled the engine over again (very hard) and it loosed up. Installed spark plugs and rode back to the motel. Talked to the service manager that worked on my sled before and said bring it in. We'll fix it. I asked him about the $550 already paid out to fix sled and his reply was, "Well I don't know what to tell you about that :cheeky4:but we'll see what we can do about your engine. You probably need a complete over haul", just guessing. :dunno:
Does anyone have knowledge of a 600 Liberty engine seizing up, cooling down, then running again? I have no faith in the dealership and I plan on tearing down the engine myself in the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
600 Fusion

Well back to square one. I thought the problem with my sled was solved. No way. I attempted to get in a ride at Grayling on Monday March 7 and 8th. It started off great, I went for a 30 mile ride, on Monday. Next day sled started up great. We went 7 miles and the sled seized up or quit suddenly. Could not pull the engine over. I took out the spark plugs, waited 5 minutes. Pulled the engine over again (very hard) and it loosed up. Installed spark plugs and rode back to the motel. Talked to the service manager that worked on my sled before and said bring it in. We'll fix it. I asked him about the $550 already paid out to fix sled and his reply was, "Well I don't know what to tell you about that :cheeky4:but we'll see what we can do about your engine. You probably need a complete over hall", just guessing. :dunno:
Does anyone have knowledge of a 600 Liberty engine seizing up, cooling down, then running again? I have no faith in the dealership and I plan on tearing down the engine myself.

·
Super Moderator
18,377 Posts
Wow, you are having no luck with that sled at all! You can pull the carbs and the exhaust, including the Y pipe to look at the piston skirts. It's possible that it did seize. If so, you probably will see damage to the skirts or the cylinder walls. A compression check may tell you a lot. How many miles are on the engine?

If it did seize, you will have to figure out what caused the seize. Lack of lubrication and air/fuel mix too lean are the most common reasons.

Good luck, sounds like you need some!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
bad day

You are so right. This sled ran so good until this year. Compression 118 and 120 psi. I have approx. 3800 miles on it. I am waiting for some type of scope to stick in the cylinder and check upper cylinder, carbs, exhaust and Ves will be taken apart soon, probably wednesday. An injury to rt. arm is delaying working on it. My good wife said she would fix it if I gave her a hammer and two screwdrivers. I declined her help. Ok you got me thinking about the oil pump. It doesn't use much oil. thanks
rc

1 - 20 of 23 Posts