Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! This is the first time I have written on this board. I am wondering if there is anyone out there that can help me get some information. My brother has had three (3) polaris snowmobiles. Yesterday, his third polaris started to burm. He contacted polaris after the second snowmobile caught on fire and they said they have never heard of this. After seeing the third vehicle burn yesterday, I said I would get on the message boards and see if anyone has any comments. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
195 Posts
what year and model were they?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well, if this is the third sled that its happened to chances are its something he is doing wrong and not the sled itself. Ive had Polaris sleds overheat, but never burn up.:eek:

·
Administrator
1,152 Posts
There was DEFINATLY a recall on the 99 brakes on many polaris models. Dano had his brakes go on him after the dealer failed to inform him about the recall last year.

I beleive that Dano's brake locked up on him. I was with him and sparks were flying and the brake started to make a terrible noise as it ground down. I dont 'know if that could start the fire, but I do think that if the break heated up enough something could melt... (like a fuel line). Now I don't have any idea if that could happen, but there is definately a recall on 99 brakes on many of the polaris Gen II sleds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi. Thanks for the replys. I spoke to my brother last night about the makes and models. Actually, this is the scenario: My two brothers both bought 1 used sled apiece. They both bought a 1993 Polaris Indy storm about 5 years ago. Both of these sleds caught on fire. This december my brother again purchased another sled a 1994 polaris indy storm. He used the sled one whole day back in december, 2002. We just had a great storm this past sunday, 2/2003, and this is when the third polaris caught on fire. There is the information for anyone who may have some comments. thanks again. kim

·
Administrator
1,152 Posts
kim goldhorn said:
Hi. Thanks for the replys. I spoke to my brother last night about the makes and models. Actually, this is the scenario: My two brothers both bought 1 used sled apiece. They both bought a 1993 Polaris Indy storm about 5 years ago. Both of these sleds caught on fire. This december my brother again purchased another sled a 1994 polaris indy storm. He used the sled one whole day back in december, 2002. We just had a great storm this past sunday, 2/2003, and this is when the third polaris caught on fire. There is the information for anyone who may have some comments. thanks again. kim
Does he ever modify his engine or are these totally stock sleds that brunt?!

·
Registered
15 Posts
talking with dad in law, the same thing happened with the brakes.
turns out the brake rubbed and got so hot that it melted the gas line and a spark ignited it. flamed shot out and the sled burnt to the ground

·
Registered
195 Posts
was there a recall on ALL of the 99 models?? including the XC 500 45th Anniversary Edition??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts