Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive noticed that my dads two '86 Indy 600s have 3 cylinders (sp?) while all the newer Polaris sleds ive seen that are 600+ just have 2 big cylinders. Any reason why Polaris went from 3 to 2? The weird thing is even though the newer ones have less cylinders they are still wider then my dads. Whats up with that?:confused:

·
Registered
323 Posts
I don't know, maybe the 2 cylinder engines are lighter, and probably a little easier to tune. But personally i have no problem tuning my triple. I've got a triple and a twin, so if you find any more info on this subject be sure to post the info. I'd like to know myself. About the engines being wider. My 600 triple is definitely a little wider than my 600 twin.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Less, weight, easier to work on, and better fuel economy. Tripples are an old concept and twins are newer. in with the new, out with the old. With twins you have more space to work with em, an dlest compnents to work with so there for it is easier and weighs less. Polaris has all twins now as do most other brands, but cats 1000 thundercat still is a tripple because it is so large. (engine size that is)

dano

·
Administrator
1,152 Posts
My biggest thoughts on the switch to twins is that the twin motors are probably cheaper to produce, and at the same time have less parts to malfunction.

Additionally, I found my XLT (polaris triple) to have poor low end performance whereas the twins seem to have better low end tourque.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts