Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently came upon what I think is a 1974 Polaris Colt 250SS. I say think because it says Colt 250 on the body but when you open the hood, it has a twin cylinder, dual carburated engine. It does not have the front shocks on the skis as SS models do. I also assume the engine is a 250 but with it being a frankenstein sled, I cannot verfiy. Here are my questions...

1. How do I actually identify what year it is? I have seen pcitures of 74, 75 and 76 and it could be any of those really.

2. How does one tell the engine size? I have the motor out right now as I am semi-restoring it and looked it over with no luck for a tag. There is a tag with some numbers stamped on the block.

3. What is good compression for these motors? I tested last night and one cyliner was 173psi and the other was about 170-171. I have a 2000 Arctic cat and it doesn't have this much compression per cylinder!

4. Where can a guy go to find parts for these sled? I searched Ebay and other online sites and found some parts but not specific ones I am searching for. I am primarily looking for the throttle block on the handlebars so I can get a new kill switch, etc...

5. Does anyone have an exploded view of this sled? I have a repair manual but it doesn't tell me much at all. Very basic info.

Thanks in advance for the info!

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
Look on the base of the cylinder, by the clutch, it should have cast into it EC25xxx.
The last numbers determine if it is a F/A or Fan cooled engine.
The 250 came in both configurations and has dual 28mm carbs.

The build year will be part of the serial # that is stamped onto the tunnel.

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
Looks like a 340 F/A. Engine model # EC34PC.
Those came with VM26 (26mm) Mikuni carbs.
I agree that it is the PC engine as it has 5 bolt head and is used in the Colt SS model.

See that plate on the front of the mag housing, that is the engine ID tag.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll get some pictures of the whole sled tonight. I have a couple on my phone I can upload tonight and I will take some of it torn apart as well since it is in that condition right now.

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
One of the most often done transplants, a 340ss engine into another frame, usually a 295 or 250 as a sleeper.
The 340 is one of the best FA engines fugi ever built and has the best power to weight ratio in that sled.
It will be able to hit 70 on hard pack with no problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.