Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if I can put a clutch off an 94 xlt 580 Fuji on a 98 Polaris xc 700 liberty motor? How compatible are they? I’m just curious because the xlt clutch is in better shape and I think I would rather use that one if that’s an option

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone know if I can put a clutch off an 94 xlt 580 Fuji on a 98 Polaris xc 700 liberty motor? How compatible are they? I’m just curious because the xlt clutch is in better shape and I think I would rather use that one if that’s an option
I am talking about the primary clutch as well forgot to add that sorry

·
Super Moderator
18,302 Posts
The secondary should work fine, the primary may not be a good fit, as some of the triple engines had a different offset on the clutch than the twins. The 700 engine also used a more robust permutation of the p85 that is a bit stronger than some of the XLT clutches to hold up to the additional torque and HP of the 700. If you use the one from the XLT, make sure the back of the XLT clutch does not interfere with the crank seal behind the primary.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Not too mention the rollers wide or narrow. Some XLTs were known to have the wide rollers while some of the Liberty P-85s had the narrow rollers. Best to look it up but personally I am betting the taper isn't the same. Not too mention the 700 P-85 is stronger then the XLT as Dan said. Personally I would send it out for a full rebuild with sending them the spring you want to use and have it balanced as well so you don't screw anything up while riding it. An out of balance primary clutch can be a very very bad thing for an engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not too mention the rollers wide or narrow. Some XLTs were known to have the wide rollers while some of the Liberty P-85s had the narrow rollers. Best to look it up but personally I am betting the taper isn't the same. Not too mention the 700 P-85 is stronger then the XLT as Dan said. Personally I would send it out for a full rebuild with sending them the spring you want to use and have it balanced as well so you don't screw anything up while riding it. An out of balance primary clutch can be a very very bad thing for an engine.
I probably will just rebuild it my xc 700 it runs great but it’s got a little bit of hesitation I can full throttle it and it will hit 5500 rpms sit there for a bit and then all of a sudden I’m at 10,000 rpms all while being at full throttle well I discovered the clutch spring was broken in half so I replaced it and it helped a little bit it still hesitates and I still think it’s a clutch problem maybe the rollers are sticking? Maybe something to do with the weights? Or a balancing issue?

·
Super Moderator
18,302 Posts
Taper is the same (1:30) until the 900/700, which has 1:33, if I recall. That is what bites you, if you don't have the right offset, the taper allows you to put it on but the primary will damage the crank seal and the crankcase/clutch if it's the wrong one. I'm with Coolhand, I would just get the 700 clutch rebuilt/balanced and call it a day.

Polaris doesn't make it easy, calling ALL of their stuff P-85 (except the smaller diameter lightweight P90).

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Some of the P-85s I swear also had a 32mm taper as well. I remember the 1:30, the 1:33 and then I swear I remember some being 1:32 but could be very wrong on that. I know the difference in rollers is a big issue as well in those.

Yeah I would find a Boost Bottle of some sort as many people still make them new just not with the SLP name on them and then do a complete Boyeson or someone else cage & reeds along with a clutch kit. And if you can find them a set of Mikuni's instead of those stinking Keihins never was a fan of those or that type of carburetor but it does work good though. That would really open up that snowmobile and be damn close to the 800s without having the issues those POS had.

Also 10K on the rpm's is a little bit too much. I would want to drop that to around 8,800 or 9,200. But ICR exactly what those were supposed to top out at that year.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some of the P-85s I swear also had a 32mm taper as well. I remember the 1:30, the 1:33 and then I swear I remember some being 1:32 but could be very wrong on that. I know the difference in rollers is a big issue as well in those.

Yeah I would find a Boost Bottle of some sort as many people still make them new just not with the SLP name on them and then do a complete Boyeson or someone else cage & reeds along with a clutch kit. And if you can find them a set of Mikuni's instead of those stinking Keihins never was a fan of those or that type of carburetor but it does work good though. That would really open up that snowmobile and be damn close to the 800s without having the issues those POS had.

Also 10K on the rpm's is a little bit too much. I would want to drop that to around 8,800 or 9,200. But ICR exactly what those were supposed to top out at that year.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

It actually already has an slp boost bottle and it has an slp pipe and can as well as different jets in a set of keihin carbs

·
Registered
9 Posts
No crankshaft taper is different

1 - 13 of 13 Posts