Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I bought a 94 polaris 440 indy super sport, The carbs were totally gummed up and everything was turned all the way in. I was woundering if I could get some info on where the air screw, the jets and what not have to be positioned at. I dont have time to play with it, I just need to get it right, or get close then I can dine tune it. Please help, I am trying to get her running asap.............

Thanks in advance

Paxfam

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay I understand the big screw controls idle/airflow but there is also another small needle that is springloaded. It is turned all the way in, but that not must be right or why would there be a spring on it. I looked under the hood and it says idle air screw should be at 1.25 turns. I can do that but as for the other spring loaded screw...............Where should that be or should it be all the way in??

Thanks in advanced
Paxfam

·
Super Moderator
16,986 Posts
The small screw with the spring on it is the air screw, which controls the air jet. Turning the screw in will give you less air, (more fuel), out will give you more air (less fuel). When things get gummed up, people have a tendency to turn the screw in to compensate for air jet passages that are clogged with varnish. A good cleaning of the carb that includes the air jet passages will allow the air screw to meter the air/fuel correctly.

The big screw lifts the throttle slide up ever so slightly to control idle. It's basically a stop for the slide to come up against when you let your thumb off the throttle. Adjust the air screw first, then adjust for idle with the big screw

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow

turned the air screw to 1.25 and Threw the carbs back on and a new set of plugs, dumped lots of sea foam down the cylinders and pulled it 2 times and she started. I swear its a 100 year old man smoking 100 packs of cigs a day. Its running, (sticky cluth) but "white" smoke like you wouldnt believe. whats this mean. Also the air box is off cause it didnt come with one, not sure if that has anything to do with it. oh and the left carb is spitting gas back out of the carb. Its screaming fix me!!!!!!!!!

I no it need adjustments just not sure what they are.

Please fill in the blanks

paxfam

·
Super Moderator
16,986 Posts
White smoke usually indicates it's cold and running rich, it should go away once the oil and SeaFoam is burned out of the crankcase. Piston ported engines like your 440 will spit back, it's the nature of the beast. If it's excessive, check compression on that side, and also check for piston skirt damage. You may also have to adjust the float height or change the inlet needle/seat, it could be dumping gas that way as well. You will know more after you run it a while, most of your smoke will go away when the engine gets up to operating temperatures.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok

okay couldnt get it started so I dumped the gas down the cylinders and put plugs back on and hit started, with the choke engaged. The left carb is spitting gas like mad. I get a back fire out of that carb once in awhile. I can completly cover that carbs air intake and it doesnt affect it. Its running odly. It wont idle well and when it does it sounds like a normal sled, little raspy but not bad....... But when throttle is engaged it doesnt do much but get higher revs then all the sudden the cluch will fully engage and then it sound like its screaming when I just barely hit the throttle. I can then let the revs go down some by letting off the throttle. and can make the clutch go in and out like a normal sled bud I mean im only moving the throttle maybe 1/4 the way and its sound like its screaming. But when it goes back to complete idle and I hit the throttle the clutch is sticking, then fully enageing again it atually clanks it goes in so hard. the smoke stopped, its not that blue 2 stroke exaust its still very cloudy. and a good amount of gas it coming out that not being burned like not dripping but its wet...... So that where it is now.

paxfam

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
check the plug of the cyl that is spitting the most. probably fouled, replace it.
the throttle responce is quicker when theer is no load on the track.
At what rpm is the clutch engaging? It is normally set to engage around 3500 to 3800 rpm.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok guys, its running pretty well, being it sat for 5 years. Ummmm the previous owner assembled the slide wrong. Thus the cable was being pulled more on that carb.........Anyway fixed slide and walla the carb stopped spitting. It still seems to start hard when cold........I have to choke and unchoke it a number of times and then it will pop and the next pull she runs. I am having some diffuculty with the idle, its like the throttle is screwed up because when the throttle its sitting like no one is holding it, it kills, but if I push the throttle a little it idles, or if I push the throttle backwards it will idle. clutch is getting better, with time. and the tach seems to show the rpms really delayed, it will only go up to 5000rpms even with it pinned, is it not higher then that???? besides that it seems to be running decent...............

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
You will want to make sure that the carbs pull the slides evenly to prevent a lean conition in one.
With the throttle off, turn the idle stop screws out untill the slides are not being lifted (use the tip of your finger to check this by feel) then adjust the cables on the top of the carbs to have almost lift to the slides. ( use the tips of two fingers to check that the slides are moving the same when you move the throttle lever) Turn the idle adjuster screws in the same amount, start the engine and fine adjust the idle as needed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok guys, its running pretty well, being it sat for 5 years. Ummmm the previous owner assembled the slide wrong. Thus the cable was being pulled more on that carb.........Anyway fixed slide and walla the carb stopped spitting. It still seems to start hard when cold........I have to choke and unchoke it a number of times and then it will pop and the next pull she runs. I am having some diffuculty with the idle, its like the throttle is screwed up because when the throttle its sitting like no one is holding it, it kills, but if I push the throttle a little it idles, or if I push the throttle backwards it will idle. clutch is getting better, with time. and the tach seems to show the rpms really delayed, it will only go up to 5000rpms even with it pinned, is it not higher then that???? besides that it seems to be running decent...............
TPS unplug it see if it idles fine without touching throttle

1 - 14 of 14 Posts