Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a kind if silly question.

I have a 1990 Indy 650 which has 3 switches (near the key). One is for handwarmers, one is for the thumb warmer and the third is for the Acc light.

The owner before me setup a heated shield on the Acc switch, I like the setup - the plug is next to the spedo (drilled into the dash) and when I flip the switch I know the heated shield is on because the ACC light is on.

Now I have a 1992 RXL which doesn't have the ACC light. My first question is can I add one? Are the wires there for that? Or would I need to wire it up independant of the wire harness in the sled?

I only ask because I think it is a nice clean install and would like to add a heated shield to my RXL the same way.

Was the Acc light an option on these old indy's? Besides heated shields what did people use them for?

·
hurry up winter
129 Posts
Does it have the head light and dash pod that is removable... if so u should be able to put a lite in it and it it should already have three in it as for the purpose of the lite mainly for hand warmers so you know there on hope that helps ya

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it have the head light and dash pod that is removable... if so u should be able to put a lite in it and it it should already have three in it as for the purpose of the lite mainly for hand warmers so you know there on hope that helps ya
What do you mean it should already have 3 in it? My pod is removable.

·
Registered
455 Posts
What do you mean it should already have 3 in it? My pod is removable.
PolarisGuy85 means is that on the instrument pod, there should be 3 other lights already there in between the speedo and the tach, these lights are, Hot, Low Oil and Highbeam indicator.

Locate the wires, that would normally be hooked up under the light pod for an ACC light, you could tap that and install a surface mount LED to indicate that the circut indeed has power.

Otherwise, you would have to run a couple of wires all the way to the pod or where you want to mount the indicator.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

PolarisBlood

·
Registered
608 Posts
The 1990 650 came stock with only one warning light on the dash, the engine temp light. There should be three other blanks in the dash which will have plugs in them. Other lamps could be installed in these spots.

The 1992 RXL came with 4 warning lights

1) low oil level (red)

2) engine temp (red)

3) hi beam (blue)

4) accessory (green)

The accessory lamp is wired to the hand warmers from the factory and it's purpose is
to light when they are on either low or high. It is probably burnt out on your sled.

The accessory lamp that the prior owner installed into the 1990 650 may have been an
accessory lamp from a later 650 which should have just snapped into your existing dash after you remove a plug.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 1990 650 came stock with only one warning light on the dash, the engine temp light. There should be three other blanks in the dash which will have plugs in them. Other lamps could be installed in these spots.

The 1992 RXL came with 4 warning lights

1) low oil level (red)

2) engine temp (red)

3) hi beam (blue)

4) accessory (green)

The accessory lamp is wired to the hand warmers from the factory and it's purpose is
to light when they are on either low or high. It is probably burnt out on your sled.

The accessory lamp that the prior owner installed into the 1990 650 may have been an
accessory lamp from a later 650 which should have just snapped into your existing dash after you remove a plug.
Thanks for the info, this helps. My 1990 has all 4 of the lights you mention.... I'll get a light and snap it in the Rxl and see if it comes on with the handwarmer switch. Also I found a female bullet connector under the handle bar pad, I haven't gotten to testing for voltage yet (the engine is out of the sled right now) but would that happen to be a place for me to plug in my heated shield?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts