Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I start my sled up and let it run about every 2-3 weeks. I usually do not have any issues. Yesterday, when I tried to start the sled, it wouldn't start. So, I made sure I had plenty of fuel. Next, I checked the spark and only one of the plugs was sparking. I replaced the plug that was not firing, however it wouldn't fire with 2 different new plugs. I put the plug that is firing into the side that was not firing with the new plugs, and it has spark. Can spark plugs go bad just sitting around? Just doesn't make sense. I ordered 2 new plugs, however, I thought I would ask this question as well. Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
19,276 Posts
Spark plugs shouldn't go bad sitting. My guess, as you put the new plugs in, you created better contact in the plug boot and regained contact. I would unscrew the plug boots from the plug wires and snip off about 1/4" of wire so the small screw contact in the boot can make better contact... that will at least rule that out as an issue.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks that’s a good suggestion. I’ll give that a shot. I can’t say how many times I removed plugs and switched them to try and get spark from both sides. It seems really odd why the one plug consistently fires but maybe it has the best connection to the boot for some reason! Thanks!

·
Registered
27,125 Posts
I agree with Dan
Most of the time it is the connection.
Here lately I have found sometimes the generator/ stator doesn't make enough power to produce enough power to spark two or three plugs.
Put both new plugs into cap after the cut the tighten, on the engine and turn off the lights
Have someone else give it a few good pulls, try wiggiling wires?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts