Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All;

Forgive any incorrect terminology here - I will do my best.

When riding this weekend, we started tearing up belts.

There was a lot of squeaking coming from the belt drive - specifically at low speed.

When we went to change the belt, the secondary in its normal spring closed position, was almost impossible to open up - turn the back plate, it seemed seized closed. Finally got it open.

The primary clutch has rubber burn marks on the center shaft.

replaced the belt, the squeaking was still there. When checking the secondary clutch, again extremely difficult to open up. The new belt had very obvious wearing in the inside of the belt - as if spinning on the primary clutch shaft.

BTW, yes we made sure the new belt was an exact replacement.

A couple of times when we stopped, we could not start the motor because the belt was so tight on that primary clutch shaft.

Obviously I will be checking both, but should I be pointing my finger more at the primary or the secondary?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I soaked the secondary in diesel overnight - gave a good cleaning. Looked over and lubed the primary. Put a new belt on.

Seems to be all good now. :)

·
Super Moderator
17,076 Posts
Can't argue with success... but hydrocarbons aren't recommended as cleaning solvents on the pulleys. The aluminum is a bit porous and some of the diesel may have been left in the faces to be transferred later to the belt. Make sure any residual diesel is cleaned off. I use Simple Green and then rise well with hot water.

Snowmobile clutches are designed to operate without lubrication. Any liquid lube can attract belt dust and gum things up which could bring back your symptoms... If you feel lube is required, use a powdered graphite or similar, that may work ok.

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts