Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying new 550 indy snomobiles. Been told they are slow but we do all trail riding. Anyone know top speed or how to get more out of them. Been told they will do 50mph, ok for wife, but I'm hoping to get at least 70mph. Is that possible?
Looking at 2020 550 indy xlt.
Thx

·
Super Moderator
17,548 Posts
I'm sure you mean the Indy LXT, the XLT (Xtra Lite Triple) was a three cylinder sled from the mid 90's...

The 550 is definitely not a powerhouse, and when you put it in a big chassis like the LXT, it doesn't help performance.

50 would be pretty easy, you may get it up a bit faster if the snow is perfect. If you want a bit more speed and are willing to give up the 2-up chassis, take a look at the 550 Indy 121. It is lighter and should be able to do a better job at keeping up with a fast paced group.

For more performance, you will need to step up to a liquid cooled 600 engine, the difference is night and day in HP. My old 550 2-up AC will do 85 easy on good snow. The main disadvantage is cost, the liquid cooled sleds are thousands more than the fanners.

Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
224 Posts
How are the newer fanners to work on? Back in the day you could really tear apart a fan easily, but liquids weren't so bad to do repairs on yourself. Sleds seem to be much more complicated these days, but you still see a lot blowing engines in a few years, so reliability may not be much difference? I don't think I would want to tackle a newer l/c efi engine teardown but I'm fine ripping apart a 90's sled.

I guess what I'm getting at is price, necessity of air cooling, (slower pace or low snow) and maybe ease of maintenance are the only reasons I could think of to go with a fan. Otherwise l/c beats the fan in every way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts