Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2003 Polaris 340 Touring. Rarely, but often enough that we'd never trust it to go very far, it will completely stop going. The engine always runs great but sometimes it just won't move the sled. Some observations:

-happens after going uphill, have driven miles and miles on flat trail with no issues
-turn it off and sit for a while, it will drive fine again (albeit feels weak)
-the engine never quits, revs high, but no movement forward
-brake light is on (probably just a fluke but it flickers on and then comes on bright when we've ridden a while)
-my kids ride it so it isn't like it is overloaded

We took it to the shop and they did a general tuneup and tried driving it to replicate the problem, but of course it didn't happen for them. They don't have a big hill near the shop though.

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
Welcome
If it is reving but not moving your belt might be your issue?
Clean the black off the clutches with a scotch bright and scuff the new belt too!

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
lift the back of the sled and see if you can turn the track by hand. If it required a lot of effort, you might have a bad bearing somewhere. First place I'd look is the driveshaft bearing under the secondary. Very common for it to NOT get greased very often or at all. Should be greased every year.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We will try turning the track! Belt has been changed out a couple of times since we've had it and no observable difference in the issue.

It's definitely not a fuel issue, as it still revs up high, track just doesn't go.

It's just odd it only happens after driving up a large hill, we can go forever on a flat trail with zero issues.

I really appreciate all the help!

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Others mentioned a clutch issue and any time you have extra drag on the track, the clutch will try to downshift. If it isn't working properly and does not downshift, the machine will bog out and stop moving. This is much more noticeable on smaller engine machines, like the 340.

Going up hill also shifts the weight backwards, so it might be putting enough stress on the bearing to make it grind.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We have a 2003 Polaris 340 Touring. Rarely, but often enough that we'd never trust it to go very far, it will completely stop going. The engine always runs great but sometimes it just won't move the sled. Some observations:

-happens after going uphill, have driven miles and miles on flat trail with no issues
-turn it off and sit for a while, it will drive fine again (albeit feels weak)
-the engine never quits, revs high, but no movement forward
-brake light is on (probably just a fluke but it flickers on and then comes on bright when we've ridden a while)
-my kids ride it so it isn't like it is overloaded

We took it to the shop and they did a general tuneup and tried driving it to replicate the problem, but of course it didn't happen for them. They don't have a big hill near the shop though.
I have a 2001 340 with the same issue. Did you ever figure it out? Thank you

·
Administrator
18,475 Posts
Next time it stops, shut it off and look at where the belt is riding in the secondary. It could be a weak or broken spring in the secondary. If so, the belt will be way down in the secondary as there is not enough spring pressure to close the movable sheave. Just another thing to check...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Next time it stops, shut it off and look at where the belt is riding in the secondary. It could be a weak or broken spring in the secondary. If so, the belt will be way down in the secondary as there is not enough spring pressure to close the movable sheave. Just another thing to check...
I will check that tomorrow. Thank you
Today when it stopped after about a 1/2 hour I lifted the rear up to see if the track would still spin under throttle and it did. When I sat it back down I could not get the sled to move. We waited about 15 minutes and we were able to ride it again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had this issue on two 340’s that I have owned. The most recent is a 2004 340 edge. I have gone through through the carbs, clutch’s,, found a bushing on the clutch worn and thought we had it as the shaft possibly could bind. Replaced bushing and still happens. I find when the sled stops, it is temp related, seems after a drive and a hot soak restart. If I feather the throttle to almost “clear” it up its good again. Very frustrating issue. Also has a new tank suspected the pick up but that wasn’t the issue either. Any one with a fix or additional suggestions?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Welcome
If it is reving but not moving your belt might be your issue?
Clean the black off the clutches with a scotch bright and scuff the new belt too!
We tried that this weekend. No luck. After it stopped today, I tried picking the back end up to see if the track would move with no load and it did. Had to wait about 15 minutes before we could move the sled under load.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Check your tank fuel line too. Possibly it's busted and when gas shifts it starves it of fuel.

Steve
This weekend we rode entirely flat land and the sled was good for about 45 minutes before it stopped. It revs up fine, never stalls. Just won’t move under its own weight. When I pick the rear ended up the track moves and it revs fine, just won’t move when I set it down. Two mechanics “cleaned” and looked at the clutch and couldn’t find and issue. It’s so frustrating...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anybody have an update on the above, was the problem solved? Just bought a 2000 Polaris Deluxe 340 and it's doing the exact same thing. Any help would be great

·
Administrator
18,475 Posts
Next time it happens, pull the plugs. If they are black, it may be the air/fuel mix is too rich to make enough power to move the sled forward. I had that happen trying to take the family to the top of a mountain on the snowmobile trail, the 340 that one of my sons was riding eventually got to an elevation that it no longer had enough power to propel itself forward. Plugs were black as black could be. It ran great down on the flats. So it could be as simple as going to a smaller main jet. To help it that day, I lowered the needle two notches so the kid could at least get off the mountain. I changed it back and dropped the main jet by one size, which seemed to help, although we never tried the mountain on that sled again. Fanners have very littler power to start with, so if they get out of spec in any way, it really compromises 'em...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok, I'll give it a try. I suspect its carb related as well, I'll post an update when I get it solved!

·
Registered
26,387 Posts
The other thing to look at as well is the Ceter to center on the clutches, too close and No Power

1 - 19 of 19 Posts