Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the sled word and just bough a 1989 Arctic Cat Wildcat 650. Unfortunately, I've been having some trouble with it. It seems to start and idle perfect, but the problems lie when I accelerate. Anything below like 5K rpm's it runs fine. Anything over that and it just. bogs and stays at around 5k. I usually just lift up the rear and rev it. I have looked it over and havent found it yet. I have put fresh plugs, gas, and checked the compression(145 in both cyls). I tried bypassing that throttle safety switch and nothing. Hopefully someone else has had a similar issue and can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance...

Steve

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
you check the jets/carbs yet? they may need a good cleanin. whens the last time your drive clutch was rebuilt or cleaned?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not cleaned either, I just got the sled. I took the carb bowl off the carbs and it looked clean with no varnish. So figured I wouldnt go further unless need be. I did put back the factory jet size of 400. There were 360 in there. But it ran the same with both jets in it.. It actually seemed a little snappier in the throttle up to the 5k stupid bogg.

Steve

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mmmm. If I were you, the first thing I would do is rebuild the primary clutch. Wildcat clutches need rebuilding almost every 1000 miles. No joke. Check the secondary shoes and what setting the spring is in. Make sure your belt is the proper width.

Check the carbs too. I'd clean them up just so you know they're not the problem. Throttle slides could be a culprit too. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SDlawndawg-

Wouldnt the motor still rev ??? Just not go as fast top speed?? It engages at the rpm just wont rev past that 4500-6000rpm range...

Steve

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had a similar problem when I first ran my sled this season, Had nothing to do with the motor, The brake caliper was sticking and wouldn't let it get above 5 or 6 grand

·
Registered
121 Posts
When u say bog your not saying if its engine or drive line. Run the sled hard and pull the plugs. Do the appear wet? or dry? If they are wet too much fuel, if dry too lean.if they are tan you've answered the question. clutches! Being an 1989 I would guess the problem may be your intake silencers are dried and cracked sucking air which would make the sled run fine at idle and get worse the harder you push it. good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts