Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I am brand new to the sport of snowmobiling, and just bought a 2000 Arctic Cat Powder Special 600 EFI. Well, I noticed that one of the plug wires could use some replacing, my question is, how do you replace the plug wire? I see the boot on one end, but how do I connect the other end? Also, my clutch engages at 4500 rpms, is that too high? And if so, then where should it engage at? Thanks for all the help. It is much appreciated.

Bill

·
Registered
711 Posts
Hey bill,

Plug wires are easy. But first i would get a secound opinion on that, a 2000 shouldn't need it, but anyway, just buy the new set and use the ones on there as a example and do one at a time, just like a car. I ride polaris, but it probably isnt different really, the just unplug and plug back in, best thing to do is run to your local dealer and have then pull out a new part and take a good look at it and see if it needs replaceing and how to do it. On the clutch, no, 4500 isnt too high, especially on a mountain sled, my rmk engauges at about 44-4500 stock as well. Mountain sleds arn't made for top end speed, so there clutches enguage differently with generally different clutch weights. Hope this helps, any other questions or if i just confused you, fell free to hit me back.:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help. I looked into the plug wire replacement, and I would have to replace the whole unit. I think it's called the CDI unit. The plug wires are intergrated into this unit. It runs around $90. I don't really know if I have to replace this plug wire, but I ended up just throwing some electrical tape on it. I looked it over and the plug wire was not showing any wire. It looked like it got burnt in one part and that is why I was looking to replace just that one. But there was not enough damage to justify. So 4500 is ok? Cool, some other guys around my work said that I can get a different clutch spring, and that will drop the RPM's a few hundred. So that may be an option as well. I guess a few of them did it on there powder specials/mountain cats. Thanks again for the help.

·
Administrator
1,084 Posts
I would agree with Dano that the 4500 RPM engagement is good. I just put a new clutch on my Zr and it is engaging at 4600 right now. Higher RPM engagement just leads to more low end power. I would suspect your Powder Special is geared to engage at 4500 inorder to make for the most low end power for heavy snow conditions.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Cobra. I thought about going with a different clutch spring. Some guys at work tried it and had success. I think they mentioned going to a red spring.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up just electrical taping the wire. It wasn't that bad. Just a cover burn.

Now on the clutch. I replaced my yellow spring that engages at 4600 to a red spring which engages at 3800. The mechanics told me that this is a great spring for powder riding as well as boondock riding. Will fill everyone in as soon as I hit the hills.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts