Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Administrator
19,927 Posts
My 2002 Deep Snow manual shows .028" for the 500 engine using Champion RN2C plugs. I have used NGK BR9ES as a substitute, you could even go to BR8ES, which is a little hotter and may resist fouling a bit better.

· Administrator
19,927 Posts
The BPR9ES plug is a protruded plug, and is a cross match for the RN57YCC. But if that year 500 doesn't require a protruded plug, the electrode may be too long. For the 2002, the P plug is a match for the 600, 700, and 800. The BR plug is a match for the 550 Trail and the 500 engines. If the plug doesn't contact the piston, it will run, but the spark may not be in the most optimum place in the combustion chamber for best performance. You may want to call a dealer and make sure, as I don't have any documentation for the XC, although the engines should be the same.

· Administrator
19,927 Posts
Interesting that Polaris specifies a different plug for the RMK 500, the XC 500, and the Polaris Classic/Tourning 500 in 2002.

DK's site is correct, your engine should take the RN57YCC plug which crosses to the NGK BPR9ES.

Some sleds don't like one type or the other, if the NGK is not working in your sled, try the Champion. Or like Coolhand suggests, maybe the irridium ones. I've only had one picky sled, it hated the Champions and ran great with the NGKs. THe rest of my sleds did equally well on which brand was cheaper (or available!)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts