Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1996 ZRT 600. I just got it, first sled. Went 200 plus miles no problem. Now, about every 10 miles it fouls the middle plug. It has BR9ES NGK plugs gappes at 40. What can I look for to solve my problem. It also has 100psi of compression in all cylinders. Is that normal, I figured it should be at 125 plus. It does have 4800 miles on it. Thanks.

·
Registered
88 Posts
got any more info for us?How's the sled working?Is the plug soaked when it comes out?Did you check the carbs?Did it just come out of storage or was it running fine before?

I'd check the carb over first,look for a sticking choke plunger, a needle valve sticking open ,floats sticking, sometimes somebody forgets to tighten a main jet when the carb is taken apart and it will fall into the bowl.All these will make a cyl run way rich and foul a plug.

If there is nuthin wrong with the carb, pull the boot and reed cage, just to make sure you don't have a broken reed.

Did you check compression with the throttle in wide open position?Also, I have found that automotive compression testers vary so bad, from one to another, if the cyls are all reading within 10 percent of one another, I would say they are fine

That'll be a good start to finding the prob, anyhow.;)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Amen Kingmort! All that crap and more has happened to all of us one time or another. Glad to see there are some guys logged on with some good knowlege of sleds. I've seen way to much crap handed out on other sites by guys who don't have a clue. Glad to have you here.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Comes from myself and my buddies riding a lot of clunkers ,zrtease(and makin' my fair share of mistakes:eek: )

When it comes time for some "zertsperience" we'll be comin' to you.........:D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The sled runs strong. It was run very little this year until I bought it. The plug comes out soaked. I am taking the carb apart tonight. We will see. Thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Worked on it all night Friday, just got to ride today. Put new slides on it, 3 hours later! Cleaned the carbs, put in new #9's and a new belt. Rode 30 miles with no problem. The thing now pulls 8500 rpm's and goes 100mph without even trying. A whole new sled and one happy new owner. Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts