Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long does it take for a plug to change it's "status" ? In other words, how long does one have to rev the motor before the plugs can be used for checking mixure (lean/rich) while a WOT ???

Also, how long does the motor have to idle after WOT to show the idle mixture ??

Last night I took the 600 to an open field down the street. On the way there while driving on the street (slowly) it seemed to be a bit jumpy coming off of idle, like it was running lean. I didn't stop to check (because I never experienced that before) and when I got to the field I pinned the throttle and ran up and down the field a few times. One the way home the engine really started to get jumpy.

I got home and let the sled idle for no more than 15 seconds. I pulled the plugs and both of them were bone dry and a very light in color. I've seen pictures of plugs and these definately looked lean.

So I ask these questions because I need to know if I'm lean at closed throttle or otherwise...

p.s. The plugs looked good until I cleaned the carbs .... lol

·
Super Moderator
16,788 Posts
When you do a "plug chop", color can change in about a half mile. To check properly, do the wide open run for about a half mile, then as you are running, hit the kill switch and keep your hand on the throttle until the engine dies.

Usually, the plugs won't turn white at idle, idle temps aren't usually high enough to burn much of the carbon off of the plug. Doing a plug chop at mid-throttle will check the setting on the jet needle to ensure it's safe. Mid-throttle will turn the plugs white if you are lean.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info BC_Dan. I removed the carbs last night, and did a more thorough job of cleaning them(removed the jets). I let the engine idle for 10 minutes then checked the plugs again. This time they were a little wet... good to go for now. The idle is still a bit rough. Prolly a combination of bad gas and plugs.

Thanks again,
Jeff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts